• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Overall Best Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Steve - Perhaps yoo and I are too easily saturated with the never ending nuances which the optical field presents. But I (approaching age 74) am not interested in how many angels can dance on a pin. Yet there are those who can explore these nuances, and to them I say, all the more power to you. Twain's quotation is still valid. My wife just called me to our bay window. We have had a heavy snow, and a skunk is wallowing though a foot of the white stuff. It is trying to find something to eat. We scatter bread, etc., and bird seed for our winter birds, and the skunk has found a new treasure trove. John

Will they be available in a 7x36 ED?

Dennis

No. No they won't. Lucky Lotus has learned of your madness for 7x chin bins and they are afraid, at this point, of their being oversold.

See, unlike the so called "Zen Rays", Lucky Lotus actually expects a zen like experience from using them and those who have found this inner peace will gently and quietly mix among the rest of us influencing us in ways a hard sell can never match.

Ok, I have to ask..who on earth makes a bin called Lucky Lotus?!!! I tried to google the name and got nothing for my efforts. Not looking for another bin, am satisfied with my Zens and PM's. Just curious. Lucky Lotus....really?!

See what you've done now , Kevin??? :-O :-O

Laura

Ahhhhh!!! The 'Lucky Lotus'...where no bins have gone before...;)

The Lucky Lotus is the ultimate in Chinese ED and Dim Sum technology. It is the Zeiss in Promasters, The Leica in Hawkes and the Zen in Swarovskis.

It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It is the ...ugh....ugh...cough ....choke...die...sorry...the 'Lucky Lotus' can only be found through deep meditation and astro travel.

btw: Happy St. Pat's day to all

Last edited:
I sort of admire Dennis' enthusiasm, his agile ability to change his mind, and his willingness to try stuff. I think this has been a good discussion, and despite the calm-down cautions, I wouldn't call it heated, but only raving bino craziness at it's best.

I stay pretty much entertained just changing my opinions about the binoculars I already own, and trying to learn how to use them as well as I can. Often I'll find that some point that strikes me as unsatisfactory is basically user error. I am still getting better with my 8x42 Trinovid BA, still finding out what it will do and how good it is, still not really worthy of it. And, to think, it is within 1x of one of the Godly creations that once blew everything else away! Faded glory, you know, Geronimo's Cadillac.
Ron

See what you've done now , Kevin??? :-O :-O

Laura

Ahhhhh!!! The 'Lucky Lotus'...where no bins have gone before...;)

The Lucky Lotus is the ultimate in Chinese ED and Dim Sum technology. It is the Zeiss in Promasters, The Leica in Hawkes and the Zen in Swarovskis.

It is the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

It is the ...ugh....ugh...cough ....choke...die...sorry...the 'Lucky Lotus' can only be found through deep meditation and astro travel.

btw: Happy St. Pat's day to all

Don't laugh at the girl!!! Besides, if you can name your bins Zen-Ray, Lucky Lotus may be a possibility.....would be too embarrassed to buy them.....;) Laughing at my question may have provided the levity needed in this post!

Last edited:
remember seeing a website advertising binoculars that can see 35 miles, and magnifying everything by 1000%.:-O

OK. This has me thinking what do you think the next technological leap in binoculars will be? How about a small digital video camera built into each optical tube which digitally takes the image enhances it and allow zoom capability up to 100X with a perfect images. Too far out or possible. What do you think. How could you digitally enhance the image and make it real.

Dennis

This thread has defintely taken a turn in a better direction, although it should have turned into the light. :eek!:

In that this place is called 'Bird forum', I am surprised that more birds don't post here???

Perhaps the 'Lucky Lotus' will be 'minibins' that can be hung from trees, for birds to use?

Then we could be watching them, watching us, watching them, watching us.......:-C

I actually saw one of those. It was at the little shop that the guy who sharpens my knives runs. Center focus, no diopter, brilliant red ruby coated "lenses". Had an image that couldn't be seen.

They called it the Optics 10x50. Yeah, it was advertised that it magnified 500 x or some ridiculous thing.There were a few snake oil commercials for the thing I saw a few times. And horror of horrors, Bird Forum even posted an advertisement for it for a day or so. Somebody wised up and it didn't last more than a day or two.

I think the best part of these Optic1050s is the "instant eye width regulator." :t:

If only my expensive binoculars had come with such an amazing feature... o:D

Throw on some ED glass and you'd have something that would really give ol' Zen-Ray a run for their money!! After all, they're already "as good, if not better" than the almost-$1000 binoculars that nice lady's husband bought. 3:)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back