• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (21 Viewers)

Hi. Just thought I'd introduce myself! Back into birding again after a long absence and been following this forum for a while, so it was nice to put some faces to names at Upton today. Nice to meet you Rob, and Tim and Mary (I'm the chap who walked round the Moors with you this morning). Thoroughly enjoyable day and I'll be back soon.

Patch|=)|

Good to meet you too Patch & thanks for the nice things you had to say about the work being done on the reserve by the volunteers!

Rob

I took the bus to Upton Warren today. At ca 1 pm I counted 50 in two trees, there may have been others elsewhere. What a sight!

Last edited:
Flycatching Waxwings

Whilst enjoying the Waxwing Experience a few of them appeared to be fly-catching. Is this a regular phenomenon for Waxwings?

No Waxwings from me but a couple of other pics

1. Curlew Squadron
2. Common Snipe-not a great pic but notice how one appears to be riding in on the back of another.
3. Great Crested Grebe with catch-Stickleback I think.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB1525 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1525 - Version 2.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 70
  • _ROB1539 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1539 - Version 2.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 81
  • _ROB0455 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB0455 - Version 2.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi. Just thought I'd introduce myself! Back into birding again after a long absence and been following this forum for a while, so it was nice to put some faces to names at Upton today. Nice to meet you Rob, and Tim and Mary (I'm the chap who walked round the Moors with you this morning). Thoroughly enjoyable day and I'll be back soon.

Patch|=)|

good to meet you Patch,not a bad day to return to birding along with a flock of waxwings good timing:t: tim

Whilst enjoying the Waxwing Experience a few of them appeared to be fly-catching. Is this a regular phenomenon for Waxwings?

Yes they do fly catch and have seen them doing this in Finland in late spring/ early summer, I also recall seeing the birds which were at Monkspath late 80s ?doing the same in late March, as were birds in Warwick in spring 2004.

Hi all,

An enjoyable couple of hours at Upton and Webbs with the WaxwingsB :)
Excellent company and banter as usual and several "joe public" asking what we were doing with all the camera gear(and some new what we were on about).8-P
So here`s a couple from the session.:t:

Chris

PS Vern where`s your Kingfisher pic.

Attachments

• wax 4_filtered.jpg
    wax 4_filtered.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 162
  • wax 7_filtered.jpg
    wax 7_filtered.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 169
Three pics from The Moors today.

Attachments

• Kingfisher 5 compressed.jpg
    Kingfisher 5 compressed.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Dunnock compressed.jpg
    Dunnock compressed.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 117
  • Rat compressed.jpg
    Rat compressed.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 141
Todays visit

Just a couple - and another - from today - Dunnock & Kingfisher from the new hide at the Moors and one of the waxwings that have appeared in the vicinity! Great company in the hide today - thanks lads!

Lou

Attachments

• Dunnock IMG_0043.jpg
    Dunnock IMG_0043.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Kingfisher I IMG_0408.jpg
    Kingfisher I IMG_0408.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 122
  • Waxwing I IMG_0005.jpg
    Waxwing I IMG_0005.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 143

Users who are viewing this thread