• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (3 Viewers)

I have never birded in Britain, so I didn't know that those species aren't as easy as e.g. here in germany. I wasn't suggesting that they should search those birds, just that they are still missing from their list

Maffong/Daniel

Short-toed Treecreeper is a national rarity with about thirty records almost all restricted to Dungeness in Kent.

My comment was simply what I was surprised that they hadn't noticed to date. I wasn't suggesting they do anything other than target the WP rarities. Plenty of Fieldfares flying around in groups chacking away in almost all habitats including along and over the coast and around lakes.

Grey Wagtail and Bullfinch are decent shouts for a bird that it is surprising that they have not casually noticed but not as big or widespread or in groups. The others of Maffong's suggestions I find less surprising with Wood Sandpiper ruled out on time of year and Hooded Crow restricted to Scotland.

Here is hoping for a good Black/American Scoter search today. It will be interesting if they then do the Scottish islands - Cackling Goose, American Coot & Killdeer. I'm sure they'll go for Surf Scoter.

All the best

Last edited:
Black Scoter is up on Birdguides for today, so hopefully they've got it. Interesting to see if they do the Scottish islands next, or back to mainland Europe for the Ivory Gull and Accentor. Haven't checked flights, but I would guess it's probably as easy to fly to Shetland or Benbecula from Europe as from the UK?

Still a bit puzzled as to why they spent an afternoon driving from Cornwall to Chew Valley for a Ring-necked Duck rather than going four miles down the road to look for the Hudsonian Whimbrel. Bad info?

Edit: and of course Fieldfare is a species you might expect to see while driving between sites. Bullfinch, Treecreeper and Grey Wag, not so much ;)

Last edited:
Still a bit puzzled as to why they spent an afternoon driving from Cornwall to Chew Valley for a Ring-necked Duck rather than going four miles down the road to look for the Hudsonian Whimbrel. Bad info?

;)

Presumably, I wonder if Hudsonian Whimbrel is pretty much guaranteed for them though on their autumn Azores sojourn?

Presumably, I wonder if Hudsonian Whimbrel is pretty much guaranteed for them though on their autumn Azores sojourn?

I wondered if despite its countability on the netfugl list, they were swayed by IOC taxonomy. They went for the Dungeness Stonechat (which unfortunately had evolved back to European Stonechat before their arrival) because it was an IOC split despite the netfugl treatment. It is the first time that I have seen an advantage in the ABA approach of setting the rules of the game in stone as at a point in time.

They had the gen:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/2017/01/14/uk-twitching-tour/

All the best

Maffong/Daniel

... The others of Maffong's suggestions I find less surprising with Wood Sandpiper ruled out on time of year and Hooded Crow restricted to Scotland.

I suppose the wood sandpiper is just a mixed up name: the Green Sandpiper (can't understand this name by the way :) ) is called Wald = wood Sandpiper in German!

I new about the rarity of the Short-toed treecreeper in GB (more or less), but with "Treecreepers " I meant more than one individual of the other species :)...

I suppose the wood sandpiper is just a mixed up name: the Green Sandpiper (can't understand this name by the way :) ) is called Wald = wood Sandpiper in German!

I new about the rarity of the Short-toed treecreeper in GB (more or less), but with "Treecreepers " I meant more than one individual of the other species :)...

They got the Green Sandpiper in Kuwait.

All the best

I wondered if despite its countability on the netfugl list, they were swayed by IOC taxonomy. They went for the Dungeness Stonechat (which unfortunately had evolved back to European Stonechat before their arrival) because it was an IOC split despite the netfugl treatment. It is the first time that I have seen an advantage in the ABA approach of setting the rules of the game in stone as at a point in time.

They had the gen:-

http://www.bigyearwp.com/index.php/2017/01/14/uk-twitching-tour/

All the best
Yes, I wondered whether it was a taxonomic issue, though given they went for the Stonechat, insurance future-proofing might be in order, and Ring-necked Duck is more or less continuously available somewhere in the British Isles. Still, if the Whimbrel is regular on the Azores*... (I generally don't pay much attention to the waders, just drool over the land-birds and remember 1985 on Scilly).

*though I think if Olaf taught us anything, it's don't assume you'll get something later, and pick up species when you can if they're easy or nearby. I may have just contradicted myself by assuming RN Duck will be easy later ;)

On gen, I knew that they knew it had been there, but just wondered if they got (bad*) negative info on the day?

*as it was seen

That's logical to be swayed by IOC taxonomy, as the Netfugl list is just a not-updated old version of IOC anyway. Like someone doing an ABA yearlist using a 2005 edition of the ABA list.

How easy is Ruddy Duck in the WP now?

Relatively easy in the Netherlands. Xenospiza (I think) clarified earlier in the thread. Found it:-

On a European scale still available at e.g. Starrevaart near The Hague or Wanteskuup (Zeeland) in the Netherlands. Another one for the C-list extravaganza in the country that does not have a C-list.

I believe that they did well to get it in the UK - not that I've tried in recent years.

All the best

Last edited:
RN Duck and Ruddy Duck should both be doable in Germany as well.
Ruddy Duck as a C5 bird from the self sustaining British Population :)

Perhaps French or Dutch birds or local escapes but unlikely to be our recent exports. Population estimate over a year ago was 30 males & 10 females. I saw one in early 2015 but not since.

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• UK_Ruddy_Duck_Eradication_project_newsletter_March_2015.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 11
Perhaps French or Dutch birds or local escapes but unlikely to be our recent exports. Population estimate over a year ago was 30 males & 10 females. I saw one in early 2015 but not since.

All the best

Paul

I agree i just Put the wrong emoticon I guess. ;) would be better.
Ruddy Duck made It into this category some time ago and now probably stays in C5 like forever.

Dear All,

So according to Paul's excellent coding system (please note correct use of word), which seems to me to be the best available way of categorising (see I used Paul's word too!) the WP birds, the last two days have produced the first three category 6 species - Dusky Thrush, American Scoter and Hooded Merganser.

As an aside I do agree Paul that category 4 needs to be scrapped and each species reviewed under your original criteria.

Also of interest, based on those codings, the team have already seen more than 50% of the code 1 species with 166 of the 323 species recorded (51.4%).

Ian

Paul

I had no idea that you were so successful with your eradication program (thanks for that information, Paul!). I am wondering now about the handling of that species in my home country Germany ( isn't written about in your PDF)? Have just asked in the forum of the German club 300 and am interested in the answers...

Fieldfare does breed up here so those slacker family visits (hello Al...) should net that safely...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back