• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2017 Western Palearctic Big Year (2 Viewers)

Nice. I'm going to get a real kicking in the places I've not visited later in the year - Egypt, Georgia, Urals, Menorca, etc, etc. I'm hoping that if I can get a few trips in that I can keep them under fifty for the year that I've not seen......

Fortunately I have been to all those except the Urals, so shouldn't be dented too badly :)

Probably I will only see one new bird for me in the WP for me this year (but I don't have any other WP trips planned specifically for birds).

There can't be that many places you haven't been.

I meant Madeira not Menorca!! I'm pretty sure if I spent the rest of my life in boats off Menorca, I'd still not see a Zino's Petrel. Next week I'm going to start planning some trips. Must break the work cycle. I've only got one trip in the diary.

All the best

Last edited:
Yes, indeed. ;)

They've already seen 42 species that I've not seen in the WP. I would love to say that they were all cat C but can't ... ;)

But I've not been to Kuwait, or the Netherlands, which accounts for 21 of those I haven't seen. Oh well ...

Just done a quick scan of their progress so far and I can own up to at least 65 I haven't seen in the WP. (and that'll swell considerably with the 'C' stuff!)

But even I've seen Cyprus Warbler Paul! Hint - go to Cyprus! ;)

All the Cat C species from Holland now show up on their website.

+Syrian Woodpecker, Griffon Vulture, Arabian Babbler, Common Nightingale, Desert Finch and Arabian Warbler
and Barbary Falcon has been added to yesterday's list

Last edited:
All the Cat C species from Holland now show up on their website.

+Syrian Woodpecker, Griffon Vulture, Arabian Babbler, Common Nightingale, Desert Finch and Arabian Warbler
and Barbary Falcon has been added to yesterday's list

Good for them to take at least one day off from seeing things that I haven't! Mandarin is missing from the list despite the photos and video. The Barbary Falcon was from Wadi Salvador. Excellent.

But even I've seen Cyprus Warbler Paul! Hint - go to Cyprus! ;)

Many thanks. I think that is an excellent plan. 3:)

I keep waiting for the last few days of August to be free so I can target migrating Demoiselle Crane at the same time. But for the last four years, the plan has fallen through. They're inspiring me to be more determined in fitting in these things though.

All the best

Last edited:
Good for them to take at least one day off from seeing things that I haven't! Mandarin is missing from the list despite the photos and video. The Barbary Falcon was from Wadi Salvador. Excellent.

Many thanks. I think that is an excellent plan. 3:)

I keep waiting for the last few days of August to be free so I can target migrating Demoiselle Crane at the same time. But for the last four years, the plan has fallen through. They're inspiring me to be more determined in fitting in these things though.

All the best

Ah yes, you'd definitely like Demoiselle Crane! B :)

at least 11 species so far that I've not seen anywhere, but I've never been to Israel or Western Sahara (3 there) so perhaps not surprising.

They're still setting a good pace - is 750 impossible?

cheers, alan

cheers, alan

On an IOC basis, 750 is perfectly possible for them (being 20 odd more than current Netfugl) particularly if they have a good Azores trip. However, I'm not sure what their tactic will be on various species like Sooty Falcon, Rock Partridge, Saker, various seabirds - their timings on some of the Atlantic islands trips, etc.

All the best

Last edited:
Good for them to take at least one day off from seeing things that I haven't! Mandarin is missing from the list despite the photos and video. The Barbary Falcon was from Wadi Salvador. Excellent. ...

Probably they didn't forget Mandarin Duck in their write-up and list, but just decided that the two observed Ind doesn't belong to a self-sustaining population (surroundings on the photo seem quite unnatural).

Altogether with today's additions and the later inserted NL C species now at a really good 450 species! Good luck for the rest of the Israel trip (and better luck with rails - seemed to be unsuccessful once more this morning in the wetlands they used to be yesterday evening as well!)...

at least 11 species so far that I've not seen anywhere, but I've never been to Israel or Western Sahara (3 there) so perhaps not surprising.

cheers, alan

Just checked. If they get the remaining species that I included in Codes 1 to 3, they get to 720 IOC - excluding Black-headed Munia, Erckel's Francolin, Darter, Blue-naped Mousebird, Hume's Wheatear, Algerian Nuthatch, Pygmy Sunbird, Red-billed Firefinch & African Silverbill.

A further 30 vagrants is eminently possible:-
Code 5
Pied-billed Grebe
Swinhoe's Storm Petrel
Black Heron
Yellow-billed Egret
Ross's Goose
Cackling Goose
Wood Duck
Blue-winged Teal
White-winged Scoter
Rüppell's Griffon
Semipalmated Plover
American Golden Plover
Semipalmated Sandpiper
Least Sandpiper
White-rumped Sandpiper
Baird's Sandpiper
Pectoral Sandpiper
Buff-breasted Sandpiper
Long-billed Dowitcher
Spotted Sandpiper
Wilson's Phalarope
Elegant Tern
Forster's Tern
Pechora Pipit
Radde's Warbler
Dusky Warbler
Red-eyed Vireo
Pine Bunting

Code 6
Black-browed Albatross
Red-footed Booby
Double-crested Cormorant
American Bittern
Green Heron
Great Blue Heron
Verreaux's Eagle
Tawny Eagle
Allen's Gallinule
Purple Gallinule
American Coot
Killdeer
Great Knot
Western Sandpiper
Red-necked Stint
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Wilson's Snipe
Short-billed Dowitcher
Hudsonian Whimbrel
Upland Sandpiper
Solitary Sandpiper
Greater Yellowlegs
Ross's Gull
Laughing Gull
Franklin's Gull
Pallas's Sandgrouse
Black-billed Cuckoo
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Common Nighthawk
White-throated Needletail
Chimney Swift
Fork-tailed Swift
Belted Kingfisher
American Cliff Swallow
Eastern Yellow Wagtail
Stejneger's Stnechat
Siberian Thrush
Hermit Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Grey-cheeked Thrush
Eyebrowed Thrush
Naumann's Thrush
American Robin
Pallas's Grasshopper Warbler
Black-and-white Warbler
Northern Parula
American Yellow Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
American Redstart
Common Yellowthroat
Scarlet Tanager
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Indigo Bunting
Bobolink
Baltimore Oriole

All the best

Blue-cheeked Bee-eater is a good one, isn't it? Edit: (of course it would have been a Lifer for me) - or would they have got it latest in Egypt?

Last edited:
Blue-cheeked Bee-eater is a good one, isn't it? Edit: (of course it would have been a Lifer for me) - or would they have got it latest in Egypt?

Easy in Morocco south of the Atlas Mts; even I've seen it there. But it's a summer visitor; when they were there was too early (Collins Bird Guide says April arrival).

Easy enough in Turkey in the east.

All the best

And what about Israel in early spring? Is the Blue-cheeked BE a common migrant nowadays? When I used to visit this fascinating country twice (indeed 16 and 26 years ago! ) I wasn't successful with this amazing species. And it wasn't easy then at all if I remember correctly...

And what about Israel in early spring? Is the Blue-cheeked BE a common migrant nowadays? When I used to visit this fascinating country twice (indeed 16 and 26 years ago! ) I wasn't successful with this amazing species. And it wasn't easy then at all if I remember correctly...

We didn't manage to see them when we went to Israel at exactly this time of year in 2011 (probably because we got bogged down in sand too often...). However they breed not far away by the Jordan river in Jordan so it's a matter of luck, being in the right spot as they pass through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back