• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are Peregrine Falcons moving out of the central Lake District (1 Viewer)

trw

Talking to a birdwatcher who has his ear to the ground we were remarking on the impressive number of Peregrine Falcons here on the south east fringes of the Lakes. We were able to identify 5 pairs all within a short radius. They were nesting in local quarries or cliffs and had been successful in rearing several young.There is a plentiful supply of food as we border the Morecambe Bay estuaries so there are always plenty of birds around, all year.
It is unusual for me not to see a Peregrine when I'm out walking.
This year I witnessed three juveniles hunting together and only yesterday saw two working in harness.
He has learnt that they have moved out of the old central Lakes areas which might explain why there has been an increase locally here on the edge of the National Park.
The reason? Who knows, but if anyone has any theories I'd be interested to hear them.

More likely to be disturbance from human leisure activities. Easy pickings near towns.
As a regular visitor to the Lakes I haven't really noticed any significant reduction in sightings. Still see birds on a regular basis in the central Lakes.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back