• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple from Phillip Island, Victoria Australia (1 Viewer)

Gibbo 92

Hello, I had a great day yesterday at Phillip Island. There was one raptor on our way from Melbourne that I am not sure about and a duck on Swan Lake.

Any help would be great.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_8016.JPG
    IMG_8016.JPG
    124.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8019.JPG
    IMG_8019.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_8021.JPG
    IMG_8021.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_8078 (2).JPG
    IMG_8078 (2).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_8079 (2).JPG
    IMG_8079 (2).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 58
I've never seen one, but how about Wedge-tailed eagle for the bop? I get an aquila feel from this bird, and seems to show a golden nape and pale band on the wing coverts and rump.

Last edited:
I've never seen one, but how about Wedge-tailed eagle for the bop? I get an aquila feel from this bird, and seems to show a golden nape and pale band on the wing coverts and rump.

I it found on Tas?

Tail shape seems totally wrong to me?

Answered ny own Q, yes it's on Tas, it does look good in terms of the upper wing pattern, the tail must be in heavy moult?

I'd probably go for Musk Duck for the other?

A

Last edited:
I it found on Tas?

Tail shape seems totally wrong to me?

A

Hi Andy, no idea as it's not a country I've been to. Agree about the tail shape, again no idea about moult cycles with this species. Just an (un)educated guess as the bird looks like an aquila to me, hopefully somebody with experience with Australasian species will be able to chip in.

I'm no expert, haven't birded much in AUS since I was a kid, or know the actual IDs of these birds, but the raptor(s) isn't a wedgie. You can't mistake the size of this eagle, especially the size and shape of is tail.

Also, Philip Island is just off the southern Victorian coastline; it's not part of or near Tassie.

I'm no expert, haven't birded much in AUS since I was a kid, or know the actual IDs of these birds, but the raptor(s) isn't a wedgie. You can't mistake the size of this eagle, especially the size and shape of is tail.

Also, Philip Island is just off the southern Victorian coastline; it's not part of or near Tassie.

Sorry, me being an idiot, I actually have a mate who lives there!!

A

Hi thanks for all the input. Initially I thought it was a Kite due to the tail shape but then the pictures of the head looks more like an Eagle.

The duck was very strange, it was quite far off so didn't manage to get great views of it but it was very low to the water.

Should be able to see a much more contrasting underwing but I'm getting a Black-breasted Buzzard feel

Should be able to see a much more contrasting underwing but I'm getting a Black-breasted Buzzard feel

That was my first thought.. but the tail is all wrong.. It still looks like a Black kite to me.. I just read their range covers most of Australia.. I can't see how it could be anything else..

Tail is spot on for wedge-tailed in pics 2 and 3.
Rob

How can it be spot-on if it's not wedged? i.e. pointed.. If it was a moult issue surely there would be uneven flight feathers too.. unless it's tail damage... then I'd go with Black breasted buzzard only because it looks smaller than a Wedge-tail to me..

Last edited:
How can it be spot-on if it's not wedged? i.e. pointed.. If it was a moult issue surely there would be uneven flight feathers too.. unless it's tail damage... then I'd go with Black breasted buzzard only because it looks smaller than a Wedge-tail to me..

I think that is a good point with regards to moult, but I defer to others with greater knowledge with regards to moult cycles, your suggestion of damage to the tail makes more sense. From the images taken, as none of these show the bird from directly underneath, there is no accurate way to identify the actual shape of the tail. A quick google shows that young birds don't have the "classic" wedge shape of the adult, though admittedly there is a wedge shape. Compare the third image with this one, and the second image with the plumage detail in this one. I can't find any images which show Black kite with a pale rump, but I think you may be correct with Black breasted buzzard. An interesting bird, and a great demonstration of the difficulties of trying to ID birds from photos!

Last edited:

Wedge-tailed eagle photo - tail looks just like the bird in question

Rob

Attachments

• IMG_17341s.jpg
    IMG_17341s.jpg
    427.6 KB · Views: 30
The OP is a 'Wedgie' I think based purely on the upper side details but the tail is odd.

In this shot, at least one, elongated tail feather givng an uneven shape to the tail which is what I'd expect rather than what we seem to see in the OP

A

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back