• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A couple from Phillip Island, Victoria Australia (1 Viewer)

From my (albeit limited) experience with the species, their tails look very odd for an Aquila eagle and do rotate much like a kites.
Besides Sicklebill has said it is one - which is good enough for me!

Hard to make anything out on the duck, musk duck may be a good shout.

Rob

Are the raptor shots all the same bird? First looks like a kite, others more like wedge-tailed eagle.

Rob

Another vote for Wedgie (pics 2&3)...and Musk Duck.

First pic looks like a different bird to me, and could pass for an underexposed, dark Whistling Kite?

For the raptor in 2&3, there are only a handful of large raptors likely to be seen around Melbourne, and most are easily ruled out here (i.e. it's not a Sea Eagle, Osprey, Swamp Harrier, Little Eagle)
Black Breasted Buzzard would be highly unusual for this location.

Duck is Musk Duck on basis of low profile, head & bill shape...and common for location.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back