• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best harness for a tank? (1 Viewer)

black crow

OK I've got these Swarovski 8x50B binoculars that are 8 inches long and weigh in at 1150 grams. That's almost 41 oz. Ouch! I inherited them so I couldn't choose anything smaller or lighter. They are really beautiful to look through but I've actually never had them off my upper deck and usually on a monopod. I think I'd like to try and carry them once in awhile but I kind of take longish semi strenuous hikes that go up and down on narrow mountain trails.

I have regular bino harnesses and I'll try them out but I think something a little better/stronger design might be in order and maybe something that protects them a little. Have any of you got real experience with a bino harness that would be appropriate for such a large and heavy binocular?

Never tried 1 oz but my Kowas weigh 34oz and a regular harness works fine. The ones with inch wide straps that cross in the back just make sure you have them tight enough that they don't bounce around. I don't notice the weight when they are on a harness.
Steve

Regular harnesses with elastic armpit straps don't work at all well with 41 oz binoculars. The wimpy elastic straps have be cinched so tightly that the armpit straps prevent free movement of the binocular when it's raised to the eyes. And you can forget any type of neck strap. I tried them all from extra wide neoprene to air cell types. This is the one I use with 8x56 Zeiss FLs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mad+dog+binocular+harness&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

The key is the sternum strap, which allows the same freedom of movement as a neck strap. It can be used without the cover by buckling the two halves of the sternum strap together. Unfortunately it's discontinued, but the essential design feature, the sternum strap, may be found in a few current harnesses.

OK I've got these Swarovski 8x50B binoculars that are 8 inches long and weigh in at 1150 grams. That's almost 41 oz. Ouch! I inherited them so I couldn't choose anything smaller or lighter. They are really beautiful to look through but I've actually never had them off my upper deck and usually on a monopod. I think I'd like to try and carry them once in awhile but I kind of take longish semi strenuous hikes that go up and down on narrow mountain trails.

I have regular bino harnesses and I'll try them out but I think something a little better/stronger design might be in order and maybe something that protects them a little. Have any of you got real experience with a bino harness that would be appropriate for such a large and heavy binocular?
A long strap worn bandolier style does the trick.
Here's an example.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-archers-binocular-strap

Try it out with the longest strap you own. At Cape May, a few of the pros use a simple webbing strap with no padding that's about 1/2 inch wide. I have a few of the Vortex archer's straps...goodbye neck pain. I never did like the harness I bought years ago.

Regular harnesses with elastic armpit straps don't work at all well with 41 oz binoculars. The wimpy elastic straps have be cinched so tightly that the armpit straps prevent free movement of the binocular when it's raised to the eyes. And you can forget any type of neck strap. I tried them all from extra wide neoprene to air cell types. This is the one I use with 8x56 Zeiss FLs:

https://www.google.com/search?q=mad+dog+binocular+harness&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

The key is the sternum strap, which allows the same freedom of movement as a neck strap. It can be used without the cover by buckling the two halves of the sternum strap together. Unfortunately it's discontinued, but the essential design feature, the sternum strap, may be found in a few current harnesses.

Agree entirely, this is the best harness option and it is a shame that it is discontinued.
That said, the sternum strap still chafes, at least in my experience. The workaround, for use when not crawling through the underbrush, is to loop the sternum straps at the back through the belt, to create a suspender style harness. This way the shoulders support the glass and the neck is entirely free.

The best harness for any size binocular is the Rick Young Outdoors model. Do not be fooled by comments you may hear about the seemingly small diameter of the cord. You can use it as a strap, a harness, or as a bandolier over whichever arm you choose.

No way do you wanted be harnessed to a "tank." Being dragged is not so bad but the older models, like the Russian T-34, have a tendency to lurch uncontrollably ... that's bad for the spine. :eek!::cat:

Bill

No way do you wanted be harnessed to a "tank." Being dragged is not so bad but the older models, like the Russian T-34, have a tendency to lurch uncontrollably ... that's bad for the spine. :eek!::cat:

Bill

I get such lousy advice usually but then you come along and chime in and I know things are going to be alright.

The inexpensive Op-Tech utility strap in the longer XL version provides a comfortable and convenient alternative for carrying heavier binoculars.
https://www.amazon.com/OP-TECH-USA-...=1520459802&sr=8-6&keywords=optech+strap&th=1
Slung over one shoulder, it takes the weight off the neck, plus it holds the glass more securely, as the glass is suspended from the strap rather than with the strap.

My only possible issue with a sling is that I usually carry two bulky belt packs when hiking and they might get in my way.

I found this which is a possible but I'm beginning to think I should just sell the binos.

https://www.amazon.com/Badlands-Bin...D=51EQ5RCvHtL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

I get such lousy advice usually but then you come along and chime in and I know things are going to be alright.

Of course, they are. Hold out for such. And remember, if you took all the optics geeks in the world and laid them end to end, it would be a good thing--especially if they were deep enough! No, wait. It was a joke, I didn' ... @#&$%)*%@%$# @$#*&^ &^%$# @#$ !@ ........... o:)

Last edited:

I seriously doubt anything exists to wear a big binocular comfortably shirtless ;).

That looks like the RY, here is the RY link http://rickyoungoutdoors.com/basic-ultra-light-bino-harness/

I tested it with my Maven B2 which is 33 oz, somewhat lighter than your Swarovski, but nobody will call it small. I was in a John Deere tractor harrowing down the winters accumulation of gopher and ground squirrel mounds. I was wearing a T shirt, and the tractor speed was about 8-10 mph. The inside movement in the cab was like jogging. I had the B2 on for the entire 8 hour session, and never once was it uncomfortable, nor did it ever feel that those straps were biting. The only real effort with the RY is doing a little initial adjustment and tinkering to get the tension and length right for you.

You will not feel like you are attached to the tank. It takes maybe 15 seconds to adjust the configuration from harness, to strap, or right or left bandoleer style. The folks at Rick Young had their thinking caps on when they designed this.

Last edited:
Well I guess I'll have to try it. On those hot days I'll wear a lighter binocular. I love hiking in just a pair of shorts and a belt pack a canteen and a bino.

My only possible issue with a sling is that I usually carry two bulky belt packs when hiking and they might get in my way.

I found this which is a possible but I'm beginning to think I should just sell the binos.

https://www.amazon.com/Badlands-Bin...D=51EQ5RCvHtL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=detail

The Badlands case keeps your glass covered when not in use.
It is an interesting design, reminiscent of the Bino Manager, but replacing the binocular half cover with a complete pouch to which the binoculars remain attached. That makes it more than just a sling or a harness, which helps justify the higher price.

Yeah the only issue is I often carry a small backpack also. I have to bring drinking water for myself and two dogs as in the summer there often isn't any up where I go and it's hot. I don't think I'll be able to bring those binos on my regular hikes the more I think of it. That's really a bummer. Maybe I should let them go but they were an inheritance from a relative and I get some cred for owning Swarovski. lol I think I might just get that little "ricky young" and take them out to the lake once or twice a year and down to our local pond and creek. Or I could mount them on a big frame over the fireplace and just stare at them.

Yeah the only issue is I often carry a small backpack also. I have to bring drinking water for myself and two dogs as in the summer there often isn't any up where I go and it's hot. I don't think I'll be able to bring those binos on my regular hikes the more I think of it. That's really a bummer. Maybe I should let them go but they were an inheritance from a relative and I get some cred for owning Swarovski. lol I think I might just get that little "ricky young" and take them out to the lake once or twice a year and down to our local pond and creek. Or I could mount them on a big frame over the fireplace and just stare at them.

Funny you should say that, in the Amazon reviews, one guy was beefing that the Badland unit has a hydration bladder, but that he preferred his Camelbak.
The Badland comes both with as well as without the hydration feature. My impression is that it does not hold much though, one liter iirc.

I've not tried the Rick Young, the thin cords seemed uncomfortable. However, Steve C's testimony is very reassuring on this point.

Lastly, remember you're lucky to have such a fine glass. It will open new vistas for you if you give it a chance, surely something worth rearranging your routines a little for.

Last edited:
I'm not an optics pro. I'm just as happy with my Zens or Sightrons or Meoptas or Celestrons or whatever I'm using at the moment. I think of them all as my Alpha bins and feel blessed to have any of them. The world is full of people who can't afford to eat and I get to own a dozen pair of good binoculars. As long as I get to see something I'm pretty happy and they all do that very well. I keep buying new ones so I have something to talk about here. (true story)

The best harness for any size binocular is the Rick Young Outdoors model. Do not be fooled by comments you may hear about the seemingly small diameter of the cord. You can use it as a strap, a harness, or as a bandolier over whichever arm you choose.

Steve couldn't be more correct. I use this harness with practically every binocular I have. I've had zero issues using it with a Canon IS 10X42(about 40 ounces) or a SV 12X50(35.7 ounces). I don't think you'll have any issues with the 8X50B.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back