• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nepal: Langtang and Gosainkunda (1 Viewer)

David Roche

Independent trip report for Langtang valley and Helambu trek (walking back to Kathmandu) November 15th to December 10th.

202 species, with highlights including Tibetan Snowcock, Himalayan Monals, Yellow-rumped Honeyguide, Long-tailed Broadbill, Long-billed Thrush, Scaly Laughingthrush, Hume's Bush Warbler, Fire-tailed Myzornis, Great Parrotbill and Red-fronted Rosefinch.

Attachments

• Nepal 2017 Langtang.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
A very nice report. I covered this area back in the mid 90’s but only as far as Kyanjin Gompa, and in half the time. I missed the honeyguide, Grandala and snowcock but had Scarlet Finch and Nepal Wren Babbler in compensation.

Many thanks for bringing back some great memories.

Cheers
Mike

I also did it in about 1992, so glad to hear it's still birdy. Did it in spring so different spread of birds. No snowcock, but 4 pheasant spp including Satyr Tragopan, Ibisbill, both tesias etc. I'll never forget being dangerously lost in the snow, while seeing the blue Grandalas against the white.

Thanks Mike and Larry

I definitely want to go back and repeat the same route, ideally in April, some point in the future. Most of the reports I had previously found in the area were for that later spring period, so hopefully this will give people a taster of the early winter. Still plenty to see, and not as busy as the Annapurna region.

The area has recovered well from the earthquake, thanks to the efforts of local people. All routes are now fully open

Good to know that it has recovered well from the earthquake. We did this trek in May 1992.
Highlights were ibisbill, grandala, pied ground thrush, honeyguide, Tibetan snowcock, 4 spp of bush robin, gold-naped finch. fire-tailed myzornis and 2 Gould's shortwings.
Missed Nepal wren-babbler (didn't know it existed back then!) and satyr tragopan.

Rob

Good to know that it has recovered well from the earthquake. We did this trek in May 1992.
Highlights were ibisbill, grandala, pied ground thrush, honeyguide, Tibetan snowcock, 4 spp of bush robin, gold-naped finch. fire-tailed myzornis and 2 Gould's shortwings.
Missed Nepal wren-babbler (didn't know it existed back then!) and satyr tragopan.

Rob

Just found my notebook, and it was 9th to 29th of May 1992, so maybej we there at same time Rob? Envious of the Gould's Shortwings. Nice one!

Just found my notebook, and it was 9th to 29th of May 1992, so maybej we there at same time Rob? Envious of the Gould's Shortwings. Nice one!

Very similar dates, I think we were something like 2nd-23rd. Must go back some time... The second shortwing posed outrageously sunning on a rock!

Rob

A flock of Kessler's Thrushes was a highlight for me in spring 1989, on open country in the Langtang village area. They weren't in my field guide and I didn't know what they were at the time. Ibisbill were pretty cool too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back