• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Walrus Dunnet Head (1 Viewer)

Steve Gantlett

Norfolk Birder
Having dipped the Orkney Walrus by 4 hours, I finally gave up hope of it reappearing and came back from Scotland yesterday. And now I hear that yesterday it (presumably the same one) was on Peedie Beach, Dunnet Head, Caithness! http://bit.ly/2G8UUic Whether it was there all day or if anyone has looked today it doesn't say....

Freswick yesterday apparently (per RBA). It's turned the corner. Now if it will just settle in, say, Loch Fleet for a few days....

John

Nothing over the weekend with over 17 hours of searching, only met two others looking, a large area to search with so few people. A lovely place to visit. A few Red deer and common seals of note.

Mark

Still no more news presumably? If the brave efforts described above by Steve and Mark had paid off, and the Walrus had decided to rest up somewhere, this might have been a far more interesting Easter Holiday. Still got my fingers crossed that someone re-finds him and it's somewhere to his liking.

Just thinking (after flicking through the Wildguides mammal book) the biggest UK mammal twitch ever, must have been the Northern Bottlenose Whale in the Thames?

Or The Queen with an estimated 1.5 million on that boat procession thing in 2012. I was there. Rather she'd been a Walrus!

C'mon lads, stop knockin' the Queen, there's no competition she might be long in the tooth but the Walrus has one hell of a floppy lip 8-P

Still no more news presumably? If the brave efforts described above by Steve and Mark had paid off, and the Walrus had decided to rest up somewhere, this might have been a far more interesting Easter Holiday. Still got my fingers crossed that someone re-finds him and it's somewhere to his liking.

Just thinking (after flicking through the Wildguides mammal book) the biggest UK mammal twitch ever, must have been the Northern Bottlenose Whale in the Thames?

The biggest twitch mammal or bird in the world ever I suspect. When I arrived the crowd was about 30 deep along a fair length of the Thames. There presumably had been a high turn over during the day, as I got there late - just as it was being 'rescued'. I would imagine hundreds of thousands probably saw it.

The biggest twitch mammal or bird in the world ever I suspect. When I arrived the crowd was about 30 deep along a fair length of the Thames. There presumably had been a high turn over during the day, as I got there late - just as it was being 'rescued'. I would imagine hundreds of thousands probably saw it.

Was that the Saturday? Many thousands also saw it on the Friday, many who work in London diverted on their way home to see it before making their way to stations etc. I had shot up from Farnborough as soon as news broke (the report was still of Pilot Whale when I caught the train) and the crowd was massive when I reached the site.

Overall I'd agree, probably biggest twitch ever.

John

Was that the Saturday? Many thousands also saw it on the Friday, many who work in London diverted on their way home to see it before making their way to stations etc. I had shot up from Farnborough as soon as news broke (the report was still of Pilot Whale when I caught the train) and the crowd was massive when I reached the site.

Overall I'd agree, probably biggest twitch ever.

John

Yes it was Saturday. I wasn't going to go and was having a leisurely morning. It was only when I went to buy a newspaper - John won't be surprised that it was the Guardian ;-) - and it was front page of every newspaper that I decided to have a change of plans. Those who thought the golden-winged warbler was a big crowd 'ain't seen nothing'.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back