• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

D800 36 Megapixels! (1 Viewer)

JPAC

Couldn't see a thread so from Nikon Rumours;

Nikon D800 specs (Google translation):

What number of pixels is 3630 megapixels.
4 frames per second continuous shooting in body only, about 6 frames per second will be used to DX mode with the optional battery pack.
A little late to be released by the model resolution sought to eliminate the low-pass filter.
Full HD video in 1920 × 1080/30p.
Headphone jacks, can be input from an external device such as a PCM sound recorder. Corresponding to USB3.0. Be available in new small wireless transmitter.
86K pixel split control, AF, exposure, white balance, etc. compatible. Face Recognition AF features.
Larger LCD monitor, automatic brightness adjustment, the structure is not cloudy.
Two media CF card and SD card slot.
Shutter durability of 200,000 cycles.
Market price is about 300,000 yen. The announcement on October 26, released on November 24.

I initially did not post this online, but after receiving some additional info I can now confirm with a 99% probability only the name “D800″ and the sensor size of 36MP.ISO range: 100 – 6400, ISO LO @ 50 and ISO HI-2 @ 25600.
There will be a different D800 version/model (or maybe even a special edition) with the antialiasing filter removed.

Fingers crossed. :)

NR is usually very reliable - so I guess we'll see this camera being released soon.

I really wonder how effective these MP races are.
You need the best of the best for the D3X - with even superb lenses like the Nikkor 200-400mm demonstrating flaws... (see Michael Weber on www.imagepower.de).
Equally the new 24-120mm f4.0 works very well on the D700, but less so on the D3X.
So what will it be like with 36MP....?

On the other hand, there will be no need for a crop factor body like the D7000.... except that the @3000.- may prove to be prohibitive.

Curious to hear other views.

The name has me intrigued the most. Is this the replacement for the D700? Hell of a different kettle of fish if it is.

Yes that's exactly what it is, a cheaper updated FX DSLR. I was expecting 18MP but it should have lower resolution settings. Long overdue IMO. The D4 should have a much higher fps but lower res.

Officially announced Oct available end of Dec, hopefully.:cat:

This is the camera that never was!

Nikon is a conservative company with a big capital C; they market in a logical, precise and usually predictable way.

Where this D800 has come from is anybodies guess. I sense that they’ve had it in the pipeline for a while, but the initial sales of D3 made them revise a launch. It could have been developed to combat Canon’s larger sensors, whatever, the answer, they’ve dusted it off with a revamp and seem to be prepared to put it out there.

Will they follow suit as with the D3 and launch an equivalent D700 model based on the D800?

This is the camera that never was!

Nikon is a conservative company with a big capital C; they market in a logical, precise and usually predictable way.

Where this D800 has come from is anybodies guess. I sense that they’ve had it in the pipeline for a while, but the initial sales of D3 made them revise a launch. It could have been developed to combat Canon’s larger sensors, whatever, the answer, they’ve dusted it off with a revamp and seem to be prepared to put it out there.

Will they follow suit as with the D3 and launch an equivalent D700 model based on the D800?

I'm getting confused now ! Isn't the rumoured D800 a much cheaper version of the D3x but with extras like video and dual card slots over the D700.
Why not call it the D700x !
I do think it will kill D3x sales if indeed there were that many in the first place.
Must admit though, it's not the answer to my prayers.For cropping shots taken on an FX body the extra pixels will be useful but I'm not sure I want that many ! What it falls down on is ISO and FPS in my book.

I'm getting confused now !

That makes at least two people.

She’s not going to be cheap, the spec suits a studio environment camera, that’s why I suggested Nikon have sat on this one.

The earthquake has delayed their normal schedule, so why not pull something out the hat that’s been hanging around for sometime.

For a professional studio, this camera is not a lot of money; I don’t think it will affect the 3Dx sales; they are two different beasts.

Is it any good for bird photography? Yes it is, not as fast as the speed merchant’s want, and they’ll moan about ISO, as if that’s really important. What this camera (as any camera) should be judged on is image quality.

Buying the D800 would be a complete waste of money if the intentions were only to display over the Internet. It looks like this camera has been designed to give high definition images suitable for reproduction.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back