• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blakiston's at Yoroushi (1 Viewer)

Julian H

We are in Hokkaido in late Feb 2018. The Washi-No-Ya do site is booked up during our visit. We are booked at Yoroushi Springs a little further out than Rauso. Pricewise it is comparable, but the set up may not be as easy?

I think we can pay to visit Washi, but due to the cold and unpredictable nature of the owls, it may not be as pleasant a vigil.

Can anyone that has been to the Yoroushi spring site document what the standard operating procedure is for the owls there?

Thanks!

Julian

I was there in 2008, so not exactly up to the minute stuff. There was a pool outside the restaurant stocked with fish and (weakly) lit. Hotel channel 1 was CCTV of the pool! If you arrange it I think they will wake you up if a bird shows up.
We had stunning views over 2 nights including a bird at the pool all the time we were eating dinner on the second night. No flash photography - we got into trouble for this since no one had told us.
We also had a pair duetting and a bird sat on the hotel's satellite dish!

Rob

I stayed there in 2006. I had a similar experience to edenwatcher.

I stayed at Washi-no-yado a few years later. Friendly but very very basic. For photography Washi-no-yado is much much better but Yoroushi is much more comfortable: the room is way nicer, the food is better, no shared tollet (note use of singular, washi-no yado only had one toilet for all the guests), it has a hot spring too of course. Unless things have changed Yoroushi was also double the price though............

Washi-no-yado is in Rausu of course which is itself a great birding location, as I'm sure you're aware.

If I were you I'd try and book another place in Rausu. Dai-ichii has nice rooms (with wifi), a hot spring and was only about 5000 yen a night I recall. You can still maybe pay to use the viewing 'hide' (ie old bus) at Washi-no yado too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back