Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

September Moths

Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 08:00   #51
dantheman
Bah humbug

56 of 12 macros here, plus two micros (and another that got away).

LYU - 34
Set Heb Ch 6
Flounced Rustic 5
Sq Spot Rustic 3
Lesser LU 1
Light Emerald 1
Frosted Orange 1
Pale Mottled Willow 1
Snout 1
Large Ranunculus 1
Small Sq Spot 1
Pinion-streaked Snout 1

Blastobasis lacticolella 1 putative
Agriphila geniculea

Species diversity - not had more than 12 since 26th August. Grass fields behind the house, and not in an area of great garden diversity perhaps accounting for the lack of diversity and good numbers of Large Yellow Underwing perhaps ...

Last edited by dantheman : Sunday 13th September 2020 at 10:13.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 08:57   #52
Rubia

Nights have been clear and cool hear so the trapping has been poorer of late.
09/09 29 moths of 11 species.
11/09 63 moths of 17 species
12/09 31 moths of 13 species
Only new moth was a Rhomboid Tortrix on 11th. I'm getting the same stuff ever night pretty much with Square-spot Rustic, Common Wainscot and Setaceous Hebrew Characters in big numbers and small numbers of the others. Mothing Groundhog Day.
Checking books and websites there are a whole range of autumnal moths that should have started but I'm not getting yet. Need a cloudy warm night really

Last edited by Rubia : Sunday 13th September 2020 at 09:01.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 09:43   #53
Paul Chapman

Some better moths on here than I am getting most nights at the moment. I should play catch up shortly but good to read the results & see the pics.

All the best

I've decided to start a self-find list as self-help to reduce my level of self-harm.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 16:41   #54
aeshna5

I was leading a couple of wildlife walks around Perivale Park, west London this afternoon. As I looked for dragonflies around the largest pond a small moth disturbed from the emergent vegetation but settled at the base of an isolated stem. Looking through my bins I was really surprised to see it was a Vestal. My first London/Middx record! In fact my only UK sightings have previously been on Scilly & one at Dungeness, probably more expected locations,though have seen many in southern Spain.

Earlier in the afternoon a Painted Lady turned up in my front garden-only my 5th this year, so perhaps both crossed during the last day or so.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 17:07   #55
andyadcock

Location: Nottingham, UK and Occasionally St Petersburg, Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post
I was leading a couple of wildlife walks around Perivale Park, west London this afternoon. As I looked for dragonflies around the largest pond a small moth disturbed from the emergent vegetation but settled at the base of an isolated stem. Looking through my bins I was really surprised to see it was a Vestal. My first London/Middx record! In fact my only UK sightings have previously been on Scilly & one at Dungeness, probably more expected locations,though have seen many in southern Spain.

Earlier in the afternoon a Painted Lady turned up in my front garden-only my 5th this year, so perhaps both crossed during the last day or so.
I've had a single record at my trap in Notts.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 17:10   #56
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chapman;4059219[B
]Some better moths on here than I am getting most nights at the moment.[/b] I should play catch up shortly but good to read the results & see the pics.

All the best
Hallelujah it's not just me!

Averaging 6 - 8 moths per night recently, mostly Lge Y Underwing and S-s Rustics.
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 17:12   #57
Allen

A much improved night last night back in rural Surrey. Large YU by far the most number with 10, 3 Lunar Underwing, 2 Light Emerald, 2 Copper Underwing (although if I knew what to look for for Svenssons...! 4 Dusky Thorn and single Centre barred Sallow and Pine Carpet.

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"
Old Sunday 13th September 2020, 20:52   #58
Jabberwocky

Three traps so far this month, trying again tonight.
3/09 78 moths, 32 species. Centre-barred Sallow, Feathered Gothic, Dark Sword-grass new for year and Eudonia pallida NFG. Square-spot Rustic topped the numbers with 16 followed by Large Y/U on 10.

8/09 93 of 26. Checked the trap before bed and found an Angleshades and an enormous Silver Water Beetle outside the trap, both had gone by morning. In the trap Square-spot Rustic 19,Large Y/U 17, Setaceous H/C 12 and Centre-barred Sallow with 8 were the high counts. Pale Eggar, Broad-bordered Y/U and Red-green Carpet NFY. Pyrausta despicata NFG. My second Tawny Wave was probably the best of the catch.

11/09 54 of 17. Pale Mottled Willow, Black Rustic and Grey Pine Carpet all NFY even though a smaller catch. Large Y/U top with 13 closely followed by Square-spot Rustic and Setaceous H/C on 11 & 10. Centre-barred Sallow back down to 1.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260233.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	737152  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260177.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	737153  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260224-001.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	737154  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260231.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	737155  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260292.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	737156  

Old Monday 14th September 2020, 11:29   #59
Jabberwocky

Down to 43 moths and 16 species last night but I was a little late out to the trap this morning and one escaped while checking he catch. Three more new for year were Frosted Orange, Brown-spot Pinion and Brindled Green. The rest were Dusky Thorn 3, Snout 2, singles of Turnip Moth, Rosy Rustic, Canary-shouldered Thorn and Bloodvein. Bulk of the catch were the usual Square-spot Rustic 12, Common Wainscot 6, Setaceous H/C 6 and Large Y/U 5. Just 2 micros, Celypha lacunana and Cochylis atricapitana.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1260322.JPG
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	737188  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260341.JPG
Views:	7
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	737189  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260349.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	737190  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1260351.JPG
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	737191  
Old Monday 14th September 2020, 16:36   #60
dantheman
Bah humbug

147 of 20 here last night - obviously something suitable weather-wise - highest species diversity since mid August, and 3rd highest total since started trapping at the end of July.

Normal fare -

Large Yellow Underwing 83
Lesser Yellow Underwing 2
Set Heb Ch 21
Flounced Rustic 10
Small Sq Spot 3
Sq Spot Rustic 4
Snout 1
Rosy Rustic 1
Pale Mottled Willow 2
Brimstone 3

Recent autumn stuff -

Frosted Orange 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Light Emerald 4
Large Ranunculus 1

New-ish/been a while -

Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet 2
Double-striped Pug 2
Garden Carpet 1
July Highflyer 1
L-abum Wainscot 1 NFG
Green Carpet 3 NFG

Also Light Brown Apple Moth and Blastobasis lacticolella the only micros.

Last edited by dantheman : Monday 14th September 2020 at 18:19.
Old Monday 14th September 2020, 16:39   #61
Rubia

Nice pictures, Jabberwocky. Very envious of that Tawny Wave.

13/09 was a more interesting night. 49 moths of 23 species. New for garden was Lunar Underwing. A few returning moths not seen for a while were Ruby Tiger, Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner, Old Lady, Wax Moth and the lovely Oncocera semirubella (Rhubard and Custard). Biggest count was 7 Setaceous Hebrew Characters.
Temperature higher tonight but still clear, so hopeful for more moths. Then possibly some warmer cloudy nights if the phone app is correct. Fingers crossed for us all.
I've got a Robinson Twin Actinic coming on Wednesday and it will be interesting to see how it compares with the Robinson MV. I'm hoping they will between them attract a better range of moths. It will be interesting to see how it goes with both running.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 08:45   #62
Jabberwocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubia View Post
Nice pictures, Jabberwocky. Very envious of that Tawny Wave.
Thanks. To get a Tawny Wave you either have to live in the right area or get very lucky indeed. Even though I live in Breckland it's still not guaranteed!

Good luck with your actinic, I've been thinking of doing something similar but it would be another home made effort like my MV. I'll be interested to see how your catch compares.

Lewis
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 16:18   #63
Rubia

14/09. A good night for the garden list, whilst only 41 moths of 20 species, three new for the garden. Orange Sallow (a reasonable moth for round here), Brown-spot Pinion and Cypress Pug (I've two large Lawson's, so was hoping for that one). Gold Triangle, Box Tree, Lunar Underwing, Dusky Thorn, Centre-barred Sallow, Copper Underwing in the pretty dept. Sq-spot Rustic the winner with 9.
A mail from the county recorder is predicting goods things for the lucky with winds from S Europe and local reports of some good moths last night both in Herts and coastal.
Now only 2 to get for 400. I'm planning an elaborate celebration possibly involving a biscuit and glass of fruit juice.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 16:54   #64
andyadcock

Quote:
14/09. A good night for the garden list, whilst only 41 moths of 20 species, three new for the garden. Orange Sallow (a reasonable moth for round here), Brown-spot Pinion and Cypress Pug (I've two large Lawson's, so was hoping for that one). Gold Triangle, Box Tree, Lunar Underwing, Dusky Thorn, Centre-barred Sallow, Copper Underwing in the pretty dept. Sq-spot Rustic the winner with 9.
A mail from the county recorder is predicting goods things for the lucky with winds from S Europe and local reports of some good moths last night both in Herts and coastal.
Now only 2 to get for 400. I'm planning an elaborate celebration possibly involving a biscuit and glass of fruit juice.
Is that a combined Macro / Micro list?

I'm at 364 but rarely check Micros.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 17:23   #65
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeshna5 View Post

Excellent!

I've only seen one on the Scillies once I think ... that is until about 9:30 last night - popped out to see how the trap was doing - Copper Underwing next to and a Shuttle-shaped Dart on the trap good for variety until this thing started flying around me.

Pretty faint lines, took it back outside rather than leave it in the fridge overnight for a better photo opportunity (no sign in the morning of course).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vestal.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	737274  

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 15th September 2020 at 17:53.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 17:28   #66
Farnboro John

13/9 morning trap list:

Massive total (for me) of 116 moths - but only 11 species! 43 Square-spot Rustics were trailed by 25 Box-tree Moths and 26 Large Yellow Underwings. Other than those, 2 Dusky and 1 September Thorns were best of the rest.

I skipped 14/9 mainly because I got home late and couldn't be bothered to set up the egg-boxes.

15/9 A slightly lower total of 83 moths but at least there were 17 species and Lunar Underwing was a year tick. Top numbers were 27 Square-spot Rustics and 24 Box Tree Moths with Large Yellow Underwing crashing to 6. Only 1 Willow Beauty but it was superbly fresh and well marked, delightful. A Copper Underwing, Grey Pine Carpet and 7 Oak Hook-tips brought up the rear interest-wise.

I notice there were a couple of widely spread Death's Heads last night, one inland.....

John
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 18:23   #67
dantheman
Bah humbug

So last night 14th. Started checking around 6:30am. 107 of 22.

Large Yellow Underwing led the way of course with 44, followed by 14 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 12 Square Spot Rustic and 11 Flounced Rustic. Everything else in singletons or doubles. Plus 4 Micros.

Including checking last night, new were -

Vestal 1 NFG
Autumnal Rustic 1 NFG
Burnished Brass 1 NFG

Different to previous night were 2 Copper Underwing, 1 Angle Shades (rather fresh, first since the 2nd) and 2 Smoky Wainscot (first in September) with 2 Black Rustic and 1 Frosted Orange etc continuing the autumn.

Last edited by dantheman : Tuesday 15th September 2020 at 18:53.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 19:26   #68
JWN Andrewes
Poor Judge of Pasta.

A couple more ticks for me from last night, Old Lady & Lunar Underwing, in amongst the 43 moths of 14 species. Common Marbled Carpet again the most numerous with 11, Large Yellow Underwing and Dusky Thorn equal second with 5 apiece. Everything else very run of the mill.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5897.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	737285  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5982.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	737286  
Last Garden - (97) Dunlin.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 19:55   #69
Allen

A decent night in rural Surrey last night; in total order Dusky Thorn 10, Centre barred Sallow 7, Oak Hook Tip 5, Lunar Underwing 5, September Thorn 5, Large Yellow Underwing 2, Light Emerald 2, Lesser YU 1, Broad bordered YU 1, Brimstone 1, Rosy Footman 1, Barred Hook-tip 1 (below) and Heath Rustic 1 (below)

Very warm here this evening back in urban Hants so fingers crossed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Barred Hook-tip (2).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	491.7 KB
ID:	737291  Click image for larger version

Name:	Heath Rustic.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	737292  

"You should have been here 5 minutes ago"

Last edited by Allen : Tuesday 15th September 2020 at 20:18.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 21:07   #70
Rubia

Hi Andy
That total is all moths (macros and micros).

I've just reached the 400th moth for the garden.
I had a Large Ranunculus (399) and that was followed 15 minutes later by a Deep-brown Dart (400). I couldn't think of a more boring moth for 400 (knocks some of the fun out of it).
Off to celebrate with that biscuit.
Old Tuesday 15th September 2020, 21:23   #71
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Off to celebrate with that biscuit.
Hope it's a Rich Tea biscuit.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 05:27   #72
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Hope it's a Rich Tea biscuit.
Looking at what the 400th species for Rubia was, I'd have gone for a chocolate Brownie.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 07:16   #73
Rubia

15/09. Last night produced 3 more new moths for the garden.
A Large Ranunculus off the wall, was the first. I thought it was something else till I took a photograph on the phone, as it was high up. But I potted it for a better look when I realised it was better. Nicely covered in yellow spots and quite large in size.That was 399.
Then 400 arrived, also off the wall. A Deep-brown Dart. What a boring moth for 400, a dull brown thing. By the end of the night I had 3 of them in total. Anyway, the massive planned celebration took place with an oat and honey biscuit and tropical fruit juice. I know how to have a good time. (This was the only biscuit type available at the time).
401 was Eudonia pallida.
Unexpected was a Bombardier Beetle. These were rare but apparently are increasing according to my coleopterist friend.
Overall 84 of 26 species.Horse-chestnut Leaf-miner was the biggest catch at 18. Everything else was what we would all expect now. I've got about 6 very very small micros in the fridge that are well beyond my abilities I suspect, but will check them tonight.
No fantastic continental rarities sadly.
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 11:30   #74
Steve Lister
World Birder, ex-County Recorder, Garden Moth-er

Finally got Copper Underwing NFY this morning, plus a puzzling micro that has turned out to be a lifer, Epinotia immundana.
Otherwise pretty standard fare in a catch of 73 moths of 18 species.

Steve
Old Wednesday 16th September 2020, 16:53   #75
andyadcock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Lister View Post
Finally got Copper Underwing NFY this morning, plus a puzzling micro that has turned out to be a lifer, Epinotia immundana.
Otherwise pretty standard fare in a catch of 73 moths of 18 species.

Steve
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: