• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide - errata and queries (1 Viewer)

I noticed the paperback is half price £9 at Amazon now. Wonder if it's worth it to keep that edition in the car? :flyaway:

This just posted on our Peterbirder e-group -

"A hard back copy of the 2nd ed. of the guide in Waterstones has the topographical details on inside of covers and lacks the Nile Walley sunbird so they have re-printed it."

Does anyone have any further info re. the extent of the corrections made to the re-printed version?

This just posted on our Peterbirder e-group -

"A hard back copy of the 2nd ed. of the guide in Waterstones has the topographical details on inside of covers and lacks the Nile Walley sunbird so they have re-printed it."

Does anyone have any further info re. the extent of the corrections made to the re-printed version?

See post 255

Yes, thanks, I have the list of items as per post 255, my question was, to what extent has the revised version of the 2nd edition been corrected in light of this thread?

Try Lars' post #244. Maybe that is what you're after?

D

Delia, many thanks. Having been away for a month I didn't have time to go back through all the posts to see what I missed on this thread. Already got four copies of the 2nd edition so in no rush myself to buy a corrected copy too. Just good to know.

Delia, many thanks. Having been away for a month I didn't have time to go back through all the posts to see what I missed on this thread. Already got four copies of the 2nd edition so in no rush myself to buy a corrected copy too. Just good to know.

You're welcome Steve. I remembered Lars posting, so went to look for it.

I'm waiting for the A4 edition to come out - it'll be easier for my tired old eyes to read it:-O

D

Hi all,

my brother has found an error...I've looked through the forum and either I missed it or it isn't listed yet. If I've missed it please don't take any offence...
...the pictures of autm. imm. fem of Sylvia cantillans (subalpine warbler) and whitethroat (Sylvia communis) are the same. It is the same picture (or drawing...)

all and all - it is a great book and for me - the best so far.

cheers

Hi all,

my brother has found an error...I've looked through the forum and either I missed it or it isn't listed yet. If I've missed it please don't take any offence...
...the pictures of autm. imm. fem of Sylvia cantillans (subalpine warbler) and whitethroat (Sylvia communis) are the same. It is the same picture (or drawing...)

all and all - it is a great book and for me - the best so far.

cheers

that is already been corrected in the new print that i have, also the topography is been added on the inner sleeve ,that was also missing in the first print.

Why Lammergeier?

I have just returned from a trip to the Italian Alps searching - among other species - for Gypaetus barbatus (to use a neutral name). Well, I had my new Collins along, as there is no German version out yet. And looking up some things, I realized that this new Collins still uses the name Lammergeier for what should be better called Bearded Vulture. For the English language it would seem pretty odd that the species is called by an old German name if Lammergeier is used.

Firstly, I wonder how this has come about?

But most importantly, the German name Lämmergeier means the lamb eating/hunting vulture. I.e. the vulture that goes after the lambs (and not the dead ones at that). And that mistaken bad reputation has contributed a lot to the original extermination of the species in the Alps. It is thus of utmost importance for the present reintroduction programme that the species is no longer connected in any way with the former false accusations. The present German name of the species is thus a descriptive one, Bartgeier. And the same name exists in English, the Bearded Vulture. And it's a true English name, unlike the Kindergarten like German adoption. The name Bearded Vulture is used in HBW, but for reasons unknown to me not in the new Collins, and neither in many other British publications.

And as German speaking folks often know English as well, there is a very unfortunate perpetuation of former accusations that need to first be clarified if someone asks. But all too often, no one asks and those reputations just stick.

Just an example: In the National Parks of the Alps, there are often explanations in a number of languages for visitors. Thus, the name Lammergeier suddenly is spotted by German visitors who pick up a folder in their language that sits next to the English version. And if the name Beared Vulture is used in the English version of that information, those who want to look it up in their British book then don't find it because it runs under a different name.

At any rate, I think it is a very unfortunate situation that the name Lammergeier is still in widespread use, and perpetuated by a internationally used FG like the Collins.

I think Lammergeier is a very evocative name for a very evocative bird. Bearded Vulture is boring and basically flawed as the bird has black moustaches and no beard at all!! Awful dumbing down of names must stop!!!!

Lammergeier

Even though the literal meaning of the name 'Lammergeier' might be misleading (as with many other species), it's also used by, eg, BirdLife International, Cornell/Clements, AERC, OSME and BWP.

I don't think I've ever heard an anglophone use the uninspiring 'Bearded Vulture' in the field. But on any trip, the sudden shout of "Lammergeier!" is guaranteed to instantly capture everyone's attention/imagination.

Richard

Last edited:
Even though the literal meaning of the name 'Lammergeier' might be misleading (as with many other species), it's also used by, eg, BirdLife International, Cornell/Clements, AERC, OSME and BWP.

I don't think I've ever heard an anglophone use the uninspiring 'Bearded Vulture' in the field. But on any trip, the sudden shout of "Lammergeier!" is guaranteed to instantly capture everyone's attention/imagination.

Richard

It's interesting how perceptions can differ. But I guess, that's part of what makes life interesting. To me Lammergeier has nothing inspiring at all, but I'm instantly connecting to the German meaning. Whereas, if starting with a clean slate, unencumbered by knowing German, it might have the inspiring appeal, I can see that. Sort of like when I was a kid, I loved to listen to AFN radio. I did not understand a word, but that English just did sound sooooooo good! Definitely inspiring as well at the time.

I still wonder, however, how it came about that the species got this basically German name.

I still wonder, however, how it came about that the species got this basically German name.

Veering offtopic, but two others which seem to have been used in the not too-distant past are 'Sprosser' and 'Waldrapp' ... at least in some bird guides??

On the Lammergeier front, it would take a big big change of heart in the english-speaking birding consciousness to change the name, although if it really were necessary for conservation purposes it would be the right thing I guess ... (bring back Crested Coot I say!)

Lammergeier

As a non-native bird in English-speaking countries, it probably never had a historical/traditional English name. Perhaps the old German name was adopted because it set it apart as something quite special rather than 'just another vulture species' (notwithstanding the fact that geier = vulture!). It probably also helped that it's easy for an English-speaker to pronounce...

Richard

Found one the other day that hasn't been listed so far.

Pg 61 Red-throated Loon the small picture of a distant adult in summer reads ad. sommar instead of ad. summer!

A wee bit of criticism:

I am missing in many cases sketches of the underwings of birds in flight.
Doesn't help ID-ing a bird when you only have a flight shot from below :(

Underwings

A wee bit of criticism:
I am missing in many cases sketches of the underwings of birds in flight.
Doesn't help ID-ing a bird when you only have a flight shot from below :(
I've always felt that this is a particular strength of David Sibley's North American Bird Guide – probably uniquely for a field guide, it provides flight views (showing both upper- and underwing) for just about every species, including passerines.

It's frequently difficult to learn much about passerine underwings from commonly available works, despite the fact that we often only get flyover underside views!

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back