• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barnacle Goose in Berkshire (1 Viewer)

i321587

Seen a couple of days on Bearwood Lakes Golf Course (from public footpath) among a group of c30 Greylags. It was there again today on the lake, again with Greylags. Any thoughts on whether it was an escapee. There don't seem to be any other reports of a Barnacle in the area recently.

Thanks.

Tony

Attachments

• Barnacle Goose - Bearwood - 6 January 2012 (1a).jpg
    Barnacle Goose - Bearwood - 6 January 2012 (1a).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 87
Hi Tony,

Almost certainly a bird from the feral Stratfield Sye population that regularly visits Moor Green Lakes. They are not counted as part of the Category C population as when they numbers got too large, they were culled!

Hi Tony,

Almost certainly a bird from the feral Stratfield Sye population that regularly visits Moor Green Lakes. They are not counted as part of the Category C population as when they numbers got too large, they were culled!

Actually, that makes them obviously Cat C as they were clearly not only self-sustaining but also expanding.

John

So, being a relatively new commer to this hobby - do I tick iit on my list?

As far as I can see, discounting where this particular bird may have come from originally, it was clearly living in the wild and and not in an artifical enviroment.

I saw a Red Abbot in Norfolk a few months ago which had obviously escaped and is not on any UK list so obviously doesn't qualify but could this Barnacle Goose have been genuinely wild, even if very unlikely?

What are the guidelines for ticking off such birds?

Tony

Cat C. Ticks ahoy. Tick it - same as ticking Canada Goose. You have to go and see some real ones though. Islay ideally and then you can see some wild Canadas as well

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back