• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Books with Sounds! (1 Viewer)

manokel

Hello all!

I am here looking for feedback from bird-lovers who are also book lovers!

I have developed a technology for traditional paper books that have printed touch-sensitive graphics on its pages. These graphics are printed with a special ink which allows the reader to simply touch on them for the book to produce a sound via a small speaker on the cover (or headphones).

I am thinking of beautifully illustrated paper books about birds, which would allow the reader to touch the illustration and listen to its birdsong coming from within the book.

Such a book looks, feels, smells and is made like regular books are, making technology invisible (no physical buttons, no wires, cables etc.).

1) Do you buy books about birds?
2) Would you like to be able to listen to the sounds a bird makes when reading such a book?
3) Does it add value to your reading experience?
4) Would you be willing to pay a higher price for such a sound-book based on this tech? If, yes how much more (%)?

Many, many thanks beforehand for your time! Your feedback is invaluable. I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

For more info about the project visit: http://manokel.com/blink

PS. a more advanced version of this technology allows the book to wireless connect to a nearby screen and show videos of birds or animations of bird-travels around the globe etc. just by touching the page with the finger.

Last edited:
Hello all!

I am here looking for feedback from bird-lovers who are also book lovers!

I have developed a technology for traditional paper books that have printed touch-sensitive "buttons" on its pages. These buttons are printed with a special ink which allows the reader to simply touch on them for the book to produce a sound via a small speaker on the cover (or headphones).

I am thinking of beautifully illustrated paper books about birds, which would allow the reader to touch the illustration and listen to its birdsong coming from within the book.

Such a book looks, feels, smells and is made like regular books are, making technology invisible (no physical buttons, no wires, cables etc.).

1) Do you buy books about birds?
2) Would you like to be able to listen to the sounds a bird makes when reading such a book?
3) Does it add value to your reading experience?
4) Would you be willing to pay a higher price for such a sound-book based on this tech? If, yes how much more (%)?

Many, many thanks beforehand for your time! Your feedback is invaluable. I'm available to answer any questions you may have.

For more info about the project visit: http://manokel.com/blink

PS. a more advanced version of this technology allows the book to wireless connect to a nearby screen and show videos of birds or animations of bird-travels around the globe etc. just by touching the page with the finger.

This is already being done by the publisher Lynx who have used a QR link next to each species account, to link to a web page.

https://www.lynxeds.com/product-cat...rdlife-international-field-guides-collection/

Thank you very much for your feedback! I assume you prefer the QR solution to the one I proposed, correct?

I think it's more elegant, if that's the right word, people who collect books, like me, want it to still look like a book, I think that using QR codes, manages that.

I agree with you about traditional books. The tech I'm describing allows for making interactive books that feel, look, smell like a real book does. The pages are plain paper and ink - no physical buttons, wires, cables etc. A small speaker on the back plays the sounds.

Nevertheless, I take your point about QR-codes. Again, thank you for your useful input!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back