Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

No retro Trinovids after all?

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Sunday 18th February 2018, 11:30   #76
jan van daalen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: maarssen holland
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterPS View Post
Jan:

Astroshop probably is the largest optics retailer in Europe and they say they'll be able to ship next week---just poorly informed?

Peter
https://www.astroshop.eu/leica-trino...hromed/p,55330
Hi Pete,

I know, called them the minute after they advertized (months ago) they could deliver, while Leica told me they couldn't, and ordered some
It seems German weeks has more days than worldwide weeks
Or just an example of Fake News

Have been banging on Leica's door when the F.... they could deliver and got finally last week the official statement they won't.

Jan
jan van daalen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 04:26   #77
Rathaus
Registered User
 
Rathaus's Avatar

 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 746
I haven’t read this entire thread, but today I enquired with Leica Australia about the delayed release of the retro trinovids. For what it’s worth, their current estimate is 2019.
Rathaus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 19th February 2018, 10:44   #78
jan van daalen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: maarssen holland
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathaus View Post
I haven’t read this entire thread, but today I enquired with Leica Australia about the delayed release of the retro trinovids. For what it’s worth, their current estimate is 2019.
The term "current estimate" is correct. It is not planned in the budgetyear of March 2018 - March 2019.

Will it be after that? Time will tell.

Jan
jan van daalen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 15:18   #79
PeterPS
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Stanford and Uppsala
Posts: 649
Hi Jan:

I have emailed to the manager of Astroshop and they have removed any info about the retro Trinovids from their website (I'd guess, after talking to Leica).

Peter
PeterPS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 4th May 2018, 23:44   #80
John M Robinson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
There have been quite a few folks, including in this forum, who have expressed that they would gladly buy a classic Trinovid updated with the latest anti-reflection and phase coatings; let's hope these outnumber those who are carping about waterproofing (of which how many ever get their binoculars wet enough that their full waterproofing - ie. ability to withstand immersion - is tested?). Leica does seem to trade on its past to some extent, and I do think a retro Trinovid (light, compact, beautifully built - let's hope the new ones will indeed have that kind of build quality, and that the difficulty/cost of building them as well as the old ones were isn't the reason for the delay/cancellation) would fit in well with their marketing strategy, and have its own appeal. Even the Uppendahl prism, although not having the 100% transmission of the Abbe-Konig, is probably a plus point amongst birders technically minded enough to know about such things.
I'm one of those guys, splash proof is plenty good for me in the dry western climate I live in. If it looks like rain, I'll "sacrifice" and bring my Ultravids instead. I can't wait for the new (retro) Trinovids.
John M Robinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 5th May 2018, 00:18   #81
gunut
Registered Offender
 
gunut's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Sussex Wisconsin
Posts: 430
I'm already in my mid 60s....so I'm not holding my breath....but if they don't cash in on my generation they might as well scrap the idea all together....or include a hermetically sealed case so we can take them with us....
gunut is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 14th May 2018, 15:01   #82
45northmt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunut View Post
I'm already in my mid 60s....so I'm not holding my breath....but if they don't cash in on my generation they might as well scrap the idea all together....or include a hermetically sealed case so we can take them with us....
LOL, that's pretty funny!
45northmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 22nd May 2018, 20:30   #83
John M Robinson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by John M Robinson View Post
I'm one of those guys, splash proof is plenty good for me in the dry western climate I live in. If it looks like rain, I'll "sacrifice" and bring my Ultravids instead. I can't wait for the new (retro) Trinovids.
I imagine they are too far along the Trinovid Uppendahl path, but it occurs to me, a mid sized 7x35 Ultravid BL would be pretty close in looks and size to the old Leitz 7x35. It would probably be waterproof with modern eyecups.
John M Robinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 04:47   #84
Glenn Stevens
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Yucaipa, Ca
Posts: 14
The retro Trinovids are still on the Leica website. Search Trinovid 7x35 and they pop up. The specs say splash proof and nitrogen filled. If they weren’t sealed up pretty good wouldn’t the nitrogen filled be pointless?
Glenn Stevens is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 07:45   #85
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,246
Hi Glenn
It sounds as though for normal use the retro-Trinnies can be considered rain-proof but 'water-proof' these days means immersion to a certain depth without ingress and it seems they would not pass this latter test.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 14:18   #86
45northmt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Stevens View Post
The specs say splash proof and nitrogen filled. If they weren’t sealed up pretty good wouldn’t the nitrogen filled be pointless?
Good point...
45northmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 15:13   #87
Steve C
Registered User
 
Steve C's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon
Posts: 3,479
Maybe this was a case of over promotion, but back in my college days, a local large Sporting Goods dealer, which is still a Leica dealer kept a 7x35 original, circa 1970 Leitz Trinovid on display in their fish tank on the counter. Not beside the tank, IN the tank. They had advanced the display to use the new Leica Trinovid when I was in there in the early 1990's. That display method is no longer in use. The store maintained that the internal seals were strong enough for this. Feel free to disagree, but it was what it was. Maybe the sales staff from Leitz oversold them, and I don't know if they had ever lost one. I was not in there much as the store was kind of high priced, but the half dozen times I was there the Trinovids were in the tank.
__________________
Steve

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Tuesday 10th July 2018 at 15:21.
Steve C is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 10th July 2018, 15:40   #88
45northmt
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Maybe this was a case of over promotion, but back in my college days, a local large Sporting Goods dealer, which is still a Leica dealer kept a 7x35 original, circa 1970 Leitz Trinovid on display in their fish tank on the counter. Not beside the tank, IN the tank. They had advanced the display to use the new Leica Trinovid when I was in there in the early 1990's. That display method is no longer in use. The store maintained that the internal seals were strong enough for this. Feel free to disagree, but it was what it was. Maybe the sales staff from Leitz oversold them, and I don't know if they had ever lost one. I was not in there much as the store was kind of high priced, but the half dozen times I was there the Trinovids were in the tank.
That's VERY interesting... I'm slowly softening on the "splashproof" designation.

Now if they'd just make them! I want a 7x35... green would help :)
45northmt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 17:18   #89
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,246
The latest news from Leica UK is that the retro-Trinovids have not been cancelled or forgotten but will be launched during 2019, and the range will include the 7x36.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Wednesday 22nd August 2018 at 17:21.
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 17:51   #90
PYRTLE
Registered User
 
PYRTLE's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 1,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
The latest news from Leica UK is that the retro-Trinovids have not been cancelled or forgotten but will be launched during 2019, and the range will include the 7x36.

Lee
Thanks for the update. Imo Leica have missed the boat, there are so many brands and improving "mid range" optics out there.
Leica is not the no.1 sport optic is was, say 15-20 years ago due to Swarovski and Zeiss competition with superb design,high profile marketing and backed up with excellent service and customer care.
I witnessed this from working in the retail business of sports optics from 2003 to 2011. I fondly remember the coloured designer Trinovid range.....red, yellow and blue rubber armouring.
The concept of the retro Trinovid was a great idea, reliant on the success of the two previous same named models. Also, x7 magnification in alphas seems to be a thing of the past.
Surely an 8 x32 Noctivid is their priority to compliment the current range.
This latest delay (to my thinking) suggests other priorities within Leica.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Wednesday 22nd August 2018 at 18:36.
PYRTLE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 18:59   #91
Alexis Powell
Registered User

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LY+DG counties, Kansas, USA
Posts: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
...The concept of the retro Trinovid was a great idea, reliant on the success of the two previous same named models. Also, x7 magnification in alphas seems to be a thing of the past.
Surely an 8 x32 Noctivid is their priority to compliment the current range...
Yes, these comments make me think, what is Leica doing? If, by resurrecting the old Trinovid, they are somehow saving a lot of money and thereby making it feasible to produce the 7x35 and the others at a decent profit and competitively low selling price, it is a good idea. If these bins are costing a lot to resurrect, and they sell for as much as modern top-end or 2nd tier choices from Swarovski or Zeiss, it's a dumb idea. I've nothing against the retro Trinovids, and I'm sure they'd be very functional bins, but I doubt I'll be buying one and I'd rather see Leica put their energy into developing a new or significantly updated/improved bin. I'd be _very_ interested in a waterproof, close-focusing, flat (or nearly flat) field, wide angle, long eye relief 7x30 or 7x35 with really superb contrast. It could have rubber armor or pebble faux-leather, I don't care.

--AP
Alexis Powell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 19:21   #92
PYRTLE
Registered User
 
PYRTLE's Avatar

 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: North Norfolk
Posts: 1,750
I checked to see when this thread started........nearly 20 months ago, and it was as a result of the original poster noticing the binocular had been removed from Leica's website as well as retail outlets. All we've had are a series of false starts and stalling. The latest update, kindly provided by Troubador who asked the question and circulated the response, is another example of this.
Yes, they have to develop, test etc. before going into production and shipping units out from their despatch hub, but why keep the end user guessing and hanging on?
Baffling.
PYRTLE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 19:56   #93
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 8,246
I am sure these retro-bins are for collectors and folks with a wistful hint of nostalgia about them and there is nothing wrong with any of that. So I don't really think of these as playing a part in Leica's line-up of modern bins. Jaguar and Aston Martin have been reissuing car models that were peerless in their day but no longer and this is how these retro-Trinnies seem to me. But they are lovely objects and I wouldn't mock any Leica enthusiast for wanting one on their bino shelf.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 22nd August 2018, 20:45   #94
John M Robinson
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NW Montana
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I am sure these retro-bins are for collectors and folks with a wistful hint of nostalgia about them and there is nothing wrong with any of that. So I don't really think of these as playing a part in Leica's line-up of modern bins. Jaguar and Aston Martin have been reissuing car models that were peerless in their day but no longer and this is how these retro-Trinnies seem to me. But they are lovely objects and I wouldn't mock any Leica enthusiast for wanting one on their bino shelf.

Lee
I'm perfectly happy with my 8x42 Ultravids and Nikon SE's, but if the optics are halfway decent and the price is reasonable, say $1,500, I'd take a pair just on looks and handiness. My old Leitz 7x35 B's were the handiest bins I've ever owned or used, followed closely by the 8x32BN.
John M Robinson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 19:59   #95
maico
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Somerset UK
Posts: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
I checked to see when this thread started........nearly 20 months ago, and it was as a result of the original poster noticing the binocular had been removed from Leica's website as well as retail outlets. All we've had are a series of false starts and stalling. The latest update, kindly provided by Troubador who asked the question and circulated the response, is another example of this.
Yes, they have to develop, test etc. before going into production and shipping units out from their despatch hub, but why keep the end user guessing and hanging on?
Baffling.
Still listed on Leica's website http://en.leica-camera.com/Sport-Opt...Trinovid-Range
maico is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 12th September 2018, 20:32   #96
dries1
Registered User
BF Supporter 2018
 
dries1's Avatar

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,212
I am all over the 8X40, black leather.

Andy W.
dries1 is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retro Style jaymoynihan Nikon 3 Sunday 19th May 2013 21:15
Going retro (in a way) Texbaz Binoculars 17 Monday 12th November 2012 13:06
Retro 990 stylee! Marcus Conway - ebirder The Birdforum Digiscoping Forum 4 Thursday 26th July 2007 16:19
Going Retro with the Nikon CP4500 Neil Digiscoping cameras 23 Tuesday 24th July 2007 12:34

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.19241810 seconds with 34 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 06:32.