• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 10X42 L IS (1 Viewer)

albatrosviajero

It could be the model of Canon 10X42 IS, a good compromise for bird watching and astronomical observation? Someone has used it for both hobbies?
a greeting

Hi,

My hands are not steady enough for a lightweight 10x bino, so I was quite keen to try out the Canon IS 10x30 when I had a chance. I was quite disappointed. Optically it was a rather average and the stabilisation mechanism was ineffective for me. I've not tried the IS 10x42 but note that with batteries it's well over 1kg. At this weight I can hold binoculars steady, but wouldn't want to hang them round my neck for very long. I use a 1.2kg 12x50 porro for longer range, but recently reviewed the Eden 10x56 with a similar weight which has very good low light performance and very enjoyable for all round use.
http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/369/limit/recent

It might be worth considering.

David

Last edited:
My opinion: superb optics and nice IS (if you get a good one, so try before you buy) but big and heavy, lousy warranty and weird eyecups

It could be the model of Canon 10X42 IS, a good compromise for bird watching and astronomical observation? Someone has used it for both hobbies?
a greeting

Have used the 10x42 extensively for birding in the US and Latin America, only casually for astronomy, the latter because NYC Manhattan has wretched seeing due to pervasive light pollution.
It works very well for both hobbies, gives a very bright view with excellent contrast and color fidelity for the birds, pinpoint stars and much greater viewing comfort for astronomy.
Not having the stars wobble because of the hand tremors really boosts the pleasure of binocular astronomy, and helps pick out fainter stars/satellites (Jupiters for instance) .
A good harness is almost a must have accessory, I've found this one to be cheap and effective:
http://coleman.com/product/pro-series-bino-managertrade/COLEH651

As has been noted, the eye cups are big and hard; unless you wear glasses they may be uncomfortable to your face.

"the eye cups are big and hard; unless you wear glasses they may be uncomfortable to your face."
It is same that the others models canon IS binoculars ?

I had an opportunity to try one out while at Cape May point in NJ in May while the gentleman who owned them was trying out my Nikon 10 x 32 EDG I.

We were both impressed.

I liked the way the scene snapped into view when the Canon's IS took effect. I have no recollection at all of the eye-cups being any problem of any kind. They worked well for me. I typically brace a binocular firmly up against my brow ridge at the base of my eye brows while using one and the Canon worked perfectly for me.

Bob

Last edited:
"the eye cups are big and hard; unless you wear glasses they may be uncomfortable to your face."
It is same that the others models canon IS binoculars ?

I don't think the 10x42 eye pieces are the same as in the other Canon IS models,but I've not got samples of the others handy to make sure.
The 10x42 eye cups are hard rubber sleeves about 44mm in diameter that rotate up as needed to get the right eye relief.
The glass is very comfortable for me to use, but there are other reports on this site from people with more deeply set eyes or prominent noses that they find the big eye pieces uncomfortable.

I owned a pair of the 10x42s briefly but found that I just couldn't cope with the bulk and weight despite the advantages of the IS system. Great view but at a cost in terms of practicality in the field.

I owned a pair of the 10x42s briefly but found that I just couldn't cope with the bulk and weight despite the advantages of the IS system. Great view but at a cost in terms of practicality in the field.

Agreed, 100%. Lovely to look through, terrible to hold or carry.

A good harness would have solved that problem and brought you happiness.o:D
Thanks etude- I tried two different harnesses and found them restrictive. I like to be able to take my bins off my neck from time to time and just hold them. A bit picky, me...

Thanks etude- I tried two different harnesses and found them restrictive. I like to be able to take my bins off my neck from time to time and just hold them. A bit picky, me...

Well, that complicates things a bit.
The only thing I can think of is the suggestion made a couple of years ago in this forum to put a counterweight on the glass and leave it supported by your shoulders.
I use this harness:
http://coleman.com/product/pro-series-bino-managertrade/COLEH651
but remove the cover and clip the chest straps around my belt at the back, so the binocs are hanging from the shoulders.
You could instead just clip the ends to some gear bag or water carrier, so the assembly would be freely removable.
A Y shaped harness with the foot of the Y clipped to the belt and the binocs attached to the other end would be a bit easier to manage, but no one makes such afaik.

Hello,
Today I could try some 18x50 IS briefly and well, I found good, great power and great weight, when you carry around with them the arms they say, "please, I do not go higher," the eye somewhat uncomfortable, and when we put the IS function image trembles something sometimes, but not be the prismatic adjusting for a walk .. I have it this clear. I do not know if the model in this regard will be 10X42 ..... more comfortable to use, lighter and with better picture quality ... I have seen the price of 900 euro!
a greeting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back