• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Colombia (1 Viewer)

Canip

Colombia has roughly 2'000 species of birds (more than any other country in the world), that's about one-sixth of all worldwide bird species.

This 52 minute movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-jn1_thxK8&feature=youtu.be

gives a good insight of what to expect when you plan to go birding there (don't forget your binoculars if you go).
In the movie, they seem to carry Swaro and Bushnell, among others, and spotting scopes, of course.

Canip

Last edited:
Thanks! I will watch.
But wrong forum. It's a well kept secret down here, but above the binocular section, there is a entire forum dedicated to birding ;)

Thanks! I will watch.
But wrong forum. It's a well kept secret down here, but above the binocular section, there is a entire forum dedicated to birding ;)

I think this is a perfect place to let those of us know about this that rarely venture to other topics on BF other than classified, spotting scopes, and of course binoculars. I for one would have never seen it of posted elsewhere.

Thanks for posting Canip! I need to get to Columbia one day!

We just got back from our first trip to Colombia on the 4th 3 days ago. Just before we left for this trip the serendipitous video Canip posted got me even more excited about getting over there.
We spent most of this trip up at Chingaza National Park which is stunning and is a breathtaking place for birds, wildlife and landscapes, it really has to be seen to be believed.
Most of my usual birding is in thick understory in the rain forests here in Costa Rica for which my Zeiss Terra 8x32's have generally been adequate.
The highland Páramo's in Chingaza however are often wide open and treeless and I quickly found the little Zeiss lacking. It would've really helped to have a 10 or 12 power in that sort of habitat. I'm definitely plan on having a pair of higher power binos with me for our next trip.
Something with a larger objective lens would've been nice as well as the rainy season was just starting while we were there. At midday it was quite dark with lots of fog, rain and low dark cloud. I got by with the Terras but hope to get something more appropriate to those kind of conditions.

Adun your beautiful country is spectacular and we can't wait to go back although the temperatures of around 4 to 10 degrees C. took some getting used too. ;-)
Cheers,
Bryan

Attachments

• 2C5EA79D-2D9E-4451-BF24-363A1A00DB8C.jpeg
    2C5EA79D-2D9E-4451-BF24-363A1A00DB8C.jpeg
    891.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2F75649F-1B00-459F-8B5E-3E990D6FCE54.jpg
    2F75649F-1B00-459F-8B5E-3E990D6FCE54.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 1662CA2B-6152-4BD1-AE64-7549F24DC968.jpeg
    1662CA2B-6152-4BD1-AE64-7549F24DC968.jpeg
    891.4 KB · Views: 48
Bryan,

Thank you for posting your experience and the impresssive pics!!! Everything from sunshine to thick fog. Great country!

Canip

P.S. And then the birds !!!

Attachments

• 4AC6D667-B51E-4453-A89D-8496708E4495.jpeg
    4AC6D667-B51E-4453-A89D-8496708E4495.jpeg
    350.8 KB · Views: 54
Thanks Canip
How silly of me! Of course the birds, how could I forget ;-)

Nice shot of the Crowned Woodnymph or at least I think its a Crowned Woodnymph, bit shaky on my hummingbirds. Continually changing and merging species and sub species names doesn't help.

Cheers,
Bryan
My fuzzy shot of a Fawn-breasted Tanager, Pipraeidea melanonota, Colombia is certainly Tanager and Hummingbird heaven.

Attachments

• 2A74B0C8-8689-4EBC-9B5C-C47CE8041B48.jpeg
    2A74B0C8-8689-4EBC-9B5C-C47CE8041B48.jpeg
    722.8 KB · Views: 38
Adun your beautiful country is spectacular and we can't wait to go back although the temperatures of around 4 to 10 degrees C. took some getting used too. ;-)

I'm not good with such cold temperatures. I live 400km south west from where you stayed, in a valley between the western and central Andes, where it's spring yearlong, always around 24°C (±4°C).

If you visit Colombia again, you should stay longer. There's just way too much to see.

If you need ideas:

There's the "Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta" route, where the video the OP posted was recorded. It's the very northern tip of the country, and has ecosystems from the Caribbean (seabirds, flamingos, etc) and the coastal guajira desert, up to the Sierra mountains (snowy peaks) all within a relatively small area. (Also nearby is Tayrona natural park, with my favorite beaches, see my avatar).

Then there's the coffee region, 200km west from the (central) capital, between the western and central Andes. You could spend a week at your "base of operations" in the city of Pereira, or the neighboring city of Manizales, and from there, go on daily treks to ~6 different destinations/ecosystems in nearby national parks. I was just there for Pereira's local bird fair last March. I think Manizales will host their bird fair in November.

Then 200km South from there, you have another route (the Pacific & cauca valley route). From the city of Cali (where I live) as your base of operations, you can take several daily treks to 5 different destinations on ecosystems ranging from tropical dry forests to cloud forests, mountains, all the way down to the Pacific ocean. The city of Cali itself has over 100 species. The Colombia Bird Fair was held here last February.

There's many other, more remote places, such as the Orinoco plains (the very old Guiana tectonic shield), the Amazon jungle and the higher southern Andes, but for time efficiency in longer stays, ease of access and staying closer to civilization, the ones I mentioned earlier would be my recommendations.

Last edited:
If you visit Colombia again, you should stay longer. There's just way too much to see.

If you need ideas:

Thank you very much for the advice Adun, All of your suggestions sound tantalizing and they'll come in handy when next we visit which we will.
Being based in Costa Rica for eight months of the year means having to exit the country every three months for a visa refresh. Panama is right next door so is our usual choice for that chore. This last refresh cycle a friend was revisiting Colombia for a quick weeks birding anyway so we tagged along with him.

The result of that memorable trip means we are now trying to figure out a budget for at least one visa visit a year to Colombia, maybe two if we can swing it. As you say there's just too much to see in just one short visit so they'll just have to be longer visits. ;-)

Cheers,
Bryan

Thanks Canip
Nice shot of the Crowned Woodnymph or at least I think its a Crowned Woodnymph, bit shaky on my hummingbirds. Continually changing and merging species and sub species names doesn't help.

Yes, that's a male crowned woodnymph.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adun,
While we were at Chingaza it was too dark at noon for bird photography so getting shots of the Hummingbirds was difficult so I stuck to working with the Terra binos. That turned out to be a better and less frustrating experience.
Hopefully next time we'll have better light.
Cheers,
Bryan

In late 2017, my son Oliver took off for an extended jaunt round South America and ended up spending around 2 months up-country in Columbia. Although not a birder, i thought he should travel with binoculars and 'lent' him my Nikon Travellite 8x25 reverse porros. Not only did they survive the whole 14 month trip, including the Galapagos, Andes, Amazon etc. but he got rather good at taking pics with an iphone through them.
I can't really ask for them back now....after you've done that number of miles, i guess they are 'his'....
now i need another set of car bins.

Hi,

reading this, Colombia certainly needs to be on the schedule for the next south america trip... especially since a good friend knows the area well, is fluent in spanish and probably will come along...

Joachim

Since Columbia came into focus due to the trip mentioned above, i've discussed it with birders whose world lists run into thousands of ticks - they all reckon it is the principal destination.....

Yes, that's a male crowned woodnymph.

This is the female:

I just realized I had mislabeled this picture.

This is not the female woodnymph, it's an Andean emerald (Amazilia franciae). Sorry to have misguided you.

I can't edit the picture, ¿Maybe a mod can delete it?

I just realized I had mislabeled this picture.

This is not the female woodnymph, it's an Andean emerald (Amazilia franciae). Sorry to have misguided you.

I can't edit the picture, ¿Maybe a mod can delete it?

Hi Adun

Such a beautiful bird and a lovely picture too. For now I've edited your post and re-named it. Are you really sure you want it deleted? I'm happy to if so.

Alternatively I can replace it if it's in the Gallery or you can email it to me. Just send me a PM if you want that option.

Hello all! I recently watched The Birders film about Caribbean Colombia which piqued my already considerable interest in birding there. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for bird guides and lodging? We like to stay in places nearby trails to explore and equipped with a kitchen to prepare our own meals. Would love to have a guide a day or two to interpret all the new sights and sounds but really not into chasing down life birds. We like to hunker down and get to know a place. Thinking Tayrona and Minca but open to suggestions. I saw that there is a Nature Sanctuary further up the mountains from Minca but looks prohibitively expensive. Are there alternatives in the area for birding at that elevation? Thanks to anyone who answers. :)

Hello all! I recently watched The Birders film about Caribbean Colombia which piqued my already considerable interest in birding there. I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for bird guides and lodging? We like to stay in places nearby trails to explore and equipped with a kitchen to prepare our own meals. Would love to have a guide a day or two to interpret all the new sights and sounds but really not into chasing down life birds. We like to hunker down and get to know a place. Thinking Tayrona and Minca but open to suggestions. I saw that there is a Nature Sanctuary further up the mountains from Minca but looks prohibitively expensive. Are there alternatives in the area for birding at that elevation? Thanks to anyone who answers. :)

The guy in the video, Diego Calderon, is himself a bird guide and would be a great resource. I have known him for over a decade since visiting Colombia in 2008. He’s an absolutely phenomenal person and one of the very best bird guides I’ve ever had. Couldn’t recommend him more highly even if just as a resource.

He could for sure provide some suggestions of what you are looking for and also probably connect you with local guides and lodging to support the local communities.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back