Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Buzzard Attacks Jogger

Old Monday 16th June 2008, 10:01   #1
Ben Nevis

Buzzard Attacks Jogger

I was speaking with my Doctor,this morning and he told me,that while out Jogging through a woodland path,a Common Buzzard flew from where it was perched and attacked him.The birds talons,have left a mark in my poor GPs neck.I have my own theory on why the bird would behave like this but would certainly appreciate the comments of other birders ?
Old Monday 16th June 2008, 10:07   #2
Karl J

there was one in Devon a few years ago, attacking cyclists on the road

until it tried it on with a van

BF Supporter 2007 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 16th June 2008, 10:18   #3
Ben Nevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post

Thanks for that Karl.They are common in my area but although I have been in areas where they nest several times,I have never been a victim of an attack.
Old Monday 16th June 2008, 11:14   #4
K-Lex

Haha. They've organised 'drop in' surgeries now I believe!
Canon 40D, Canon 20D, 24-70 2.8 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 100 2.8, 170-500 4.5-6.3, Manfrotto tripod and head, Tamrac and Lowepro carrying system, Singh Ray filters, Canon 580 EX II and Sunpak PZ40X flash, Epson R2400 printer,

www.keithwylie.co.uk
Old Monday 16th June 2008, 16:28   #5
ste-dee

Only thing i can think of is,there must of been a chick about that was possibly on the ground,this happened to me many years ago with a pair of kestrals,very frightning.
Old Monday 16th June 2008, 19:29   #6
andrew_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl J View Post

Being killed by the van didn't seem to handicap it any - the attacks continued into the following years (same small event).
2008 - 2 attacks
2007 - 6 or 7 attacks
2006 - 1 attack
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 08:57   #7
CarolineW

Talking Buzzard attack this morning!

Hello all

We have alot of buzzards in our local area and when out running this morning I experienced being attacked by one.

I've run the same route down through fields near home for the last 10 years and this is the first time it has happened. Whilst it was fantastic to be so close to the bird, it was also very frightening to have it continue to swoop and dive bomb me.

I never thought for one minute I would be at risk of the bird attacking me physically but after searching on the internet, i've found stories of people with injuries so feel lucky that I got away without being hurt.

This bird is obviously protecting a nest so I guess I will have to respect it's wishes and change my route for a while!

Caroline
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 11:33   #8
charlierocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolineW View Post
Hello all

We have alot of buzzards in our local area and when out running this morning I experienced being attacked by one.

I've run the same route down through fields near home for the last 10 years and this is the first time it has happened. Whilst it was fantastic to be so close to the bird, it was also very frightening to have it continue to swoop and dive bomb me.

I never thought for one minute I would be at risk of the bird attacking me physically but after searching on the internet, i've found stories of people with injuries so feel lucky that I got away without being hurt.

This bird is obviously protecting a nest so I guess I will have to respect it's wishes and change my route for a while!

Caroline
That to me Caroline, is exactly the right attitude
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 12:34   #9
jerkin

It is possible to return a hand reared bird that has become an imprint back to the wild it will act like a typical wild bird until the breeding season then it can be dangerous to people as it sees them as trespassers on its territory will not pair with another buzzard and will deny the territory to natural well balanced sociologically normal birds of their species
Old Wednesday 16th July 2008, 12:43   #10
Himalaya

why dont you see buzzards attacking ravens and other corvids which mob them really viciously?
Old Tuesday 22nd July 2008, 12:48   #11
Dialyt
The Definitive Binocular

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
why dont you see buzzards attacking ravens and other corvids which mob them really viciously?
Maybe they lack confidence? But you are right, you would think they'd give as good as they get in these situations. I'd imagine a buzzard could easily kill a hoodie. But maybe they are conscious of the backlash there might be in the corvid community if they took out one of their mates.
Old Thursday 24th July 2008, 06:46   #12
Farnboro John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himalaya View Post
Particularly with the larger species that mob them it is largely a question of risk. Raptors (all predators) stand or fall by their physical fitness whereas an injured grazer or seed-eater can still adequately pounce on a dandelion or a sunflower seed.

Going for an all out attack on something the same size, of similar (or in the case of Raven, better) flying ability and in possession of a substantial offensive weapon, to wit, a big long sharp bill, risks too much damage.

John
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: