Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birdguides

Old Thursday 6th February 2014, 18:49   #1
Geoff Pain
Rural Member

Birdguides

Is it my computer or have Birdguides altered how they display the daily sightings? If they've altered the format I for one am not impressed.
Old Thursday 6th February 2014, 22:06   #2
Stonefaction
One of that ilk

No, they have definitely changed the set-up. To see only sightings from Scotland I have to go into advanced search where the results are displayed in time order. I can't see any way to save my preferences either. I don't want to have to scroll through the entire UK list, nor do I want to only look at 1 county at a time. I have just renewed my subscription 2 days ago, and am less than impressed with this redesign.
Old Thursday 6th February 2014, 22:57   #3
Adey Baker

The phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind! I suppose we ought to complain to Birdguides direct rather than here on BF, but I bet they'll have some excuse or other to justify the time and effort they've put in giving us the 'new improved' look.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 7th February 2014, 09:22   #4
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adey Baker View Post
The phrase 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' comes to mind! I suppose we ought to complain to Birdguides direct rather than here on BF,
Perhaps

There is an article on the changes on the Birdguides website itself, with comments below -

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=4192
Old Friday 7th February 2014, 12:34   #5
Adey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantheman View Post
Perhaps

There is an article on the changes on the Birdguides website itself, with comments below -

http://www.birdguides.com/webzine/article.asp?a=4192
Well, at least they've been made aware of some of the issues. Certainly, the eye-catching colour of the 'i' symbol and the (very) subtle colour difference of the WP records have been noted. Addressing these issues could make it a lot better, though there's still a lot of blank white space either side which is causing cramping of the info in the middle (long species names running into the 'county' space) - I'm not on IE, either.

Presumably, if we just select UK/Ireland then we don't still get the WP ad hoc stuff as well.

Old Friday 7th February 2014, 15:47   #6
DaveD

Afternoon all - only just found this thread.

We don't change things on a whim, and we certainly didn't make these changes for the sake of it - the only practical way for me to add the new Western Palearctic functionality was to reorganise the way all the reports are rendered. I would usually agree with the policy "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but the old page really was "broke" - for a start, it used long HTML tables, which are deprecated these days, have their own layout problems and render slowly. Also the "cacheing" mechanism behind the scenes was years old and was significantly impacting on database performance. Anyway, I hope you'll get used to the new look; the pages are smaller to download, should render more quickly, and technically are a lot simpler behind the scenes and thus easier to maintain and develop.

As noted in the comments on our webzine article, there were a few early teething troubles with the page (all of which I've fixed) and we're still considering some of the cosmetic suggestions. Most of the reported layout problems have, on further investigation, turned out to be from people using older versions of Internet Explorer (older versions of IE have notoriously poor support for CSS - cascading stylesheets - which are the recommended tool for modern web layout). Incidentally, a "hard refresh" (Ctrl+F5) or changing "Compatibility Mode" settings fixes some of the problems, if you insist on using an out-of-date browser (or are forced to, as some people are at work).

Stonefaction: I think you may have encountered a bug (now fixed) whereby a user's "filter" settings weren't being remembered between visits to the page. You should find now that if you set up a filter and apply it (click "Apply filter" in the right-hand menu) that filter is applied by default thereafter.

Adey: regarding the white space either side, don't forget that websites are increasingly viewed on smartphones and tablets, where screen width is very limited, so the restricted width of the current BirdGuides page is a considered compromise between the needs of computer users vs mobiles; I take the point about longer species names disrupting the columns, but I tried lots of different layouts and this was the best compromise.

(And yes, if you've got a problem it's usually best to contact the people responsible rather than grumbling on a forum somewhere else :) )

All the best
Dave Dunford
(BirdGuides webmaster)

Last edited by DaveD : Friday 7th February 2014 at 16:40.
Old Friday 7th February 2014, 18:16   #7
Stonefaction
One of that ilk

Thanks, Dave. Will have a look and hopefully set up filters again.

I only commented on here, because I was answering the original post. Up till then I hadn't been over for a look....when I did go I found myself in agreement with Geoff. I was still going to have to put up with it, to get the info, whether I liked the layout or not, having just paid for another year's subscription.
Old Friday 7th February 2014, 19:55   #8
Adey Baker

Dave, thanks for the full explanation - I'm sure we'll all soon get used to the new layout.

Old Tuesday 11th February 2014, 16:21   #9
DaveD

Just FYI we've adopted some (but not all) of the suggestions made here and on our article. Go to www.birdguides.com/bne and hit Ctrl+F5.

Dave
Old Tuesday 11th February 2014, 21:22   #10
Adey Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
Just FYI we've adopted some (but not all) of the suggestions made here and on our article. Go to www.birdguides.com/bne and hit Ctrl+F5.

Dave

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: