• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leach's Petrel Vestmannaeyjar Ferry beginning September (1 Viewer)

Arbu

What are my chances if I take this ferry? Leach's Petrel is one of just five European bird species I've never seen. Another is Snowy Owl but it sounds like the chances of that are even lower.

Have you seen this page ? Edward of this parish may have more recent information but I suspect the chances of seeing Leach's Petrel in Iceland are still pretty slim.

Leach's is not an easy bird to see anywhere in Europe as it's very much a bird that needs the right conditions to bring them close to land. Northwest England is probably as good as anywhere - see Jane Turner's classic thread for more info.

Have you seen this page ? Edward of this parish may have more recent information but I suspect the chances of seeing Leach's Petrel in Iceland are still pretty slim.

Leach's is not an easy bird to see anywhere in Europe as it's very much a bird that needs the right conditions to bring them close to land. Northwest England is probably as good as anywhere - see Jane Turner's classic thread for more info.

Thanks. Sounds like I have to get to one of the outer islands at Vestmannaeyjar at night to see them and that will probably require paying a fisherman a lot of money.

Maybe I'll just have to drive up to the Wirral one day when conditions are good. I'd take the train from London, but last minute tickets are expensive. Seems like a trip to Mykines in the Faroes is another option.

Seeing them from the Vestmannaeyjar ferry is possible but far from guaranteed and also depends on the time of day. Leach's Petrels spend their days far out to sea and we basically never see them from land (unlike European Storm Petrels which can be seen reasonably regularly from land). The best chances would be on the latest possible ferry (as long as it's light enough to see!). I haven't seen one since 2006 since I went on a ringing expedition (but saw hundreds then)! EBird map for Leach's in Iceland http://ebird.org/ebird/map/lcspet?b....287&env.maxX=-13.496&env.maxY=66.564&gp=true

Seeing them from the Vestmannaeyjar ferry is possible but far from guaranteed and also depends on the time of day. Leach's Petrels spend their days far out to sea and we basically never see them from land (unlike European Storm Petrels which can be seen reasonably regularly from land). The best chances would be on the latest possible ferry (as long as it's light enough to see!). I haven't seen one since 2006 since I went on a ringing expedition (but saw hundreds then)! EBird map for Leach's in Iceland http://ebird.org/ebird/map/lcspet?b....287&env.maxX=-13.496&env.maxY=66.564&gp=true

Thanks. Ferry times going out are 7:45pm and 10pm and coming back there is one at 9pm. Ferry takes 35 minutes. Sunset at the beginning of September is 8:30pm. Perhaps I'll try 7:45pm going out and 9pm coming back.

Edit: Except I can't see any buses meeting the 9pm ferry. The last one seems to leave at 7:20pm http://www.straeto.is/media/sumartimi/52.pdf. Don't know what you do if you're stuck at the harbour on the mainland late at night.

Last edited:
Took the 7:45pm ferry out and the 7:25pm one back the next day. Not a sign of any storm petrel at all on either crossing. Maybe I should make a trip to the Faroe Islands to try for this bird one day. I did see Manx Shearwater, Great Skuas, Black Guillemots, Fulmars and of course Puffins. Also a possible pair of Iceland Gulls on the cliffs (see photos) - maybe someone has an opinion on whether this is right or whether they are Herring Gulls?

Attachments

• Gull 1.png
    Gull 1.png
    120.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Gull 2.png
    Gull 2.png
    188.8 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back