• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Snæfellsnes Peninsula Feb 2017 (1 Viewer)

scodger

Yes, I know , mad.

Booked to go look for the orcas, aurora, winter birds and probably masochistic driving conditions, will be there 23rd -26th Feb then back down to Reykjavik for a couple of days

Anyone going to be there at this time?

David

Thanks, looking forward to it, just hope the weather holds, come to the worst and Ill make the best of it in and around Reykyavik!

Basically we haven't had a winter this year in Iceland so the driving conditions are unusually good at the moment but things can change. Always a good idea to have a look at this website http://www.road.is/ before travelling outside the city.

Hi
Had a great time, arrived just in time for record snow storms , bitter cold winds after a mildish winter, but it was good.

I'd recommend a trip up to Snaefellsnes, stayed at Grundurfjordur, in the Old Post Office, basic but comfortable and warm, big kitchen so an opportunity to self cater if you need to as meals out are expensive. The harbour is worth a look for gulls and seabirds sheltering, grey seal. An area of beach to the east of the town I didnt get to explore but could be good for waders when the tide is out. Had Gyr fly along the beach to the west of the town, putting everything up, special bird that, I came home not seeing some birds but that was the one I wanted. A not to miss location is the food processing plant behind the Framnes Hotel. The plant when operating pumps offal ( seemed to be prawn shells mostly when i was there ) out into the sea and it rises to the surface about 100ft off the breakwater, had up to 2000 fulmar, 400 eider and numerous gulls ( Iceland, BH, Common, Glaucous , GBBG ) . The fulmar must be able to pick up the smell from a long distance and cant get there fast enough when it starts. Lots of birds hanging about even when the plant is not operating so always worth a look I would suggest anytime of year and a great place to study white winged gulls and the rest in every plumage, and good opportunity for photographers.. Also here I had King Eider drake, Harlequins, Long tailed duck. Limited by the weather but i would spend some time here again. In the village lots of snow buntings, Redwing , Starlings and the odd blackbird. A house opposite the Laki Cafe puts food out under some bushes and there are always some birds here.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back