• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Some birds from Kuwait (1 Viewer)

Jose605

Congo-Brazzaville
Photographed last year, end of March.

#1 Western Marsh Harrier?
#2 Not a very good shot. Can't really tell.
#3 Probably Crested but wondering if could be Skylark?
#4&5 May or may not be the same bird. They were photographed separately but around the same area.

Thanks for your help!

Jose

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 54
I just wanted to add, that there are mostly winter plumaged Little Stints in picture 4, and that the single Dunlin, Tom is obviously speaking of, is the one in the middle.

Agree with mostly Dunlins for the flying birds in picture 5. But there is one slightly smaller birds just below right from the center. I think its impossible to be certain, but it looks like a Broad-Billed Sandpiper to me. And I am not sure about one more bird in the right upper corner (I think more experience with this species is needed here)

For 5: Suspect some little stint here too (smaller, straight billed, often with less clean upperparts pattern of wing bars etc than the dunlins). If I'm looking at the right bird, I don't think it can be broad-billed. We'd expect more evidence of a supercilium, a stronger upperparts pattern

Thank you, Alexander. Good eye!

Here's a few more photos of those birds, though unfortunately not very clear. I'm sure there's another Broad-billed Sandpiper somewhere in there, and maybe some other species? I can see a couple of gulls too, which are probably either Black-headed or Slender-billed. They were both abundant in the area.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 17
For 5: Suspect some little stint here too (smaller, straight billed, often with less clean upperparts pattern of wing bars etc than the dunlins). If I'm looking at the right bird, I don't think it can be broad-billed. We'd expect more evidence of a supercilium, a stronger upperparts pattern
Thank you The_Fern! I take good note.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back