Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Argentina - Northern Patagonia IDs 4 and 5

Old Tuesday 19th December 2006, 14:50   #1
lockbreeze926

Argentina - Northern Patagonia IDs 4 and 5

As per previous thread, two more obscure efforts.

The bird in Photos 1 and 2 was scrabbling on its own around the only piece of vegetation on an otherwise bare rocky mountain slope at around 3000 feet altitude. It looks like a sparrow of some sort, but matches nothing I can see in my field guide - my guess is that it might be an immature Rufous-Collared Sparrow,with the facial pattern just starting to appear (better discernible in the otherwise more-obscured photo). I think the red bill tends to support this, as well as general plumage and the abundance everywhere of the RCS - BUT the facial pattern, although vaguely outlined, seems slightly out of alignment and would a juvenile be this active this early in the Austral summer?

Photos 3 is a mystery. The bird flew into shot as I was looking at something else, hence it's way out of focus, and it flew very quickly. From my naked-eye observation, what the picture shows is correct - a finch-sized, stubby-billed bird, largely red-orange on the breast and crown with black and white longitudinal throat patches, darker (brown? grey?) on the nape and mantle. Habitat was urban-edge scrubland. The nearest ID stab I can make is a Rufous-Tailed Plantcutter, but that isn't very convincing.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparrow Sp 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	66708  Click image for larger version

Name:	Sparrow Sp 2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	66709  Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	66710  

Go birding in Florida AND keep the family happy
www.orlandopoolhome.net

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th December 2006, 15:27   #2
çakripan

No idea for the first bird but i don't see why you're not convinced by the identification of the rufous-tailed plantcutter in the third pic.
Old Tuesday 19th December 2006, 16:45   #3
jocateme

Can't help with the first, but second looks perfectly like Rufous-tailed Plantcutter to me.
Old Wednesday 20th December 2006, 12:02   #4
Mark:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocateme
Can't help with the first, but second looks perfectly like Rufous-tailed Plantcutter to me.
First bird looks like a Sierra-finch to me, probably Mourning S-F. Have a look at this link (need to scroll down a lot) and look at the juv male:

http://www.fotosaves.com.ar/Patagonia_2006_En.htm

As for the plantcutter: http://www.avesdechile.cl/075en.htm looks good.

Mark
Old Wednesday 20th December 2006, 12:59   #5
lockbreeze926

Thanks to all contributors.

I agree the Mourning Sierra-Finch looks good - the suggested photo shows the red bill, whereas my field-guide shows a yellow one (described as "orange"......ah well).

Thanks again.

Go birding in Florida AND keep the family happy
www.orlandopoolhome.net

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 21st December 2006, 14:11   #6
Rasmus Boegh
BF member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockbreeze926
I agree the Mourning Sierra-Finch looks good - the suggested photo shows the red bill, whereas my field-guide shows a yellow one (described as "orange"......ah well).
The bill-colours is variable. Breeding males have bright yellow bills, but non-br. males (as well juv. males) have brownish bills - often with a dull orange tinge.

BF Supporter 2008 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: