• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (3 Viewers)

Just arrived for my second visit this year to this beautiful island.
Uneventful transfer from the airport to Port Pollensa.
Most worthy of note - 4 Red Kite & a pale phase Booted Eagle.
I'll post details of any interesting sightings.
KevM

The weather has changed and the wind has swung round to northerlies. It was even cold at the Cap yesterday and this had an effect on migrating raptors as very little moved through, just a couple of Marsh Harrier and three Common Kestrel.
Now all we need are some strong easterlies which could bring some Yellow-browed warblers and maybe even another Red-flanked bluetail.
We will see.
Lots of Common birds seen on Cabrera yesterday including Black Redstarts. Robins and Song Thrushes have also arrived so the wintering birds are coming back.
Hoopoes calling like mad here in Ses Salines and the Stone curlews and Scops Owls were very vocal last night.
Mike

When I was at S’Albufera last month I managed to read a Darvic ring on a greater flamingo. I’ve just received the attached details from the ringing scheme. Nothing surprising about the bird (ringed as a pullus in 2017) and its travels, but it’s good to know, and hopefully makes a small contribution to the overall picture.

Stew

Attachments

• 1FD9696F-1CF4-43D6-ADD6-75901983856B.jpg
    1FD9696F-1CF4-43D6-ADD6-75901983856B.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 82
Yes, very interesting. I have often been asked where the Flamingoes originate from so that’s good to know.
It’s hot again after only one cold rainy day.
I saw quite a few Booted eagles heading south today.
I will be at the Cap tomorrow around 10am and then for a whole day on Friday.
Mike

Sightings today:

Albufereta: in trees, wryneck heard not seen, 3 black cap, common redstart, greenfinch. From hide; cormorants, kestrel.
Albufera: hide opposite visitor centre; 2 glossy ibis, 3 spotted redshank, Kentish plovers, marbled duck, shovelers, black wing stilts,
Bishop 11 hide: 8 spotted redshank, 3 greenshanks, Kentish plovers, shelducks, 1 northern wheatear, 2 blackcaps, willow warbler, possible dotterel to be conformed with photos ASAP seen approx 4pm.

Attached photos of dotterill taken at Albufera yesterday. Opinions on confirmation welcome please.

Attachments

• 837AFE2B-3A9E-4D17-8A12-37C92926EDE7.jpeg
    837AFE2B-3A9E-4D17-8A12-37C92926EDE7.jpeg
    361.1 KB · Views: 126
That looks good for Eurasian Dotterel. Nice! Never seen one in Mallorca but I know they do appear, often in Sept-Oct.

Very nice Sally, well done.
They have been very scarce this year but they do pass through Mallorca in the autumn in varying numbers.
Three hours at the Cap this morning.
A total of 10 Booted eagles left. Some circled round gaining height and moved the the west, no doubt leaving the Island further along the coast. 3 others left direct to Cabrera.
1 Marsh Harrier left early.
20 Barn Swallows.
3 Common Kestrel
5 Plain tiger butterflies.
Mike

I'm sure it's even hotter today!
Spent a couple of hours at Albufereta. Highlights:

Purple Heron
2 Grey Heron
Greenshank
3 Marsh Harrier
Great White Egret
Red Kite
Common Sandpiper
Wood Sandpiper

Thank you Martin and Mike for confirming our sighting of the dotterel. It’s the first time we’ve seen one so we’re really chuffed.

Today we did a circular walk around Lluc. We saw;
6 raven, 3 firecrest, 2 crossbill, 2 robin, lots of great tits, blackbirds and chaffinch, heard many Sardinian warblers.
Unfortunately no sightings of any vultures.

Majorca sept/oct 2019

Steve. Thanks for all your posts and for your excellent company too.
Safe trip home and I hope to see you again on your next visit.
All the best, Mike

Thanks Mike,
Always a pleasure too meet you and Kevin, and great company with StewB, Geordie Dave, Roger, Sally, Dave and Annette.
Still going through my photos but will post a few now.
Flamingos 09/09/19 Albufereta.
Nightingale 09/09/19 Son Real.
Cirl Bunting 09/09/19 Son Real.
Green Sand. 11/09/19 Salbufera.

Attachments

• IMG_7795 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_7795 (1024x732).jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_7905 (1024x734).jpg
    IMG_7905 (1024x734).jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_7875.jpg
    IMG_7875.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7953 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_7953 (1024x730).jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Port Pollenca to Cala San Vicenc.

Good numbers of Crag Martin flying low in the valley. I've never walked surrounded by Crag Martins!

Several Common Redstart, including a cracking male.
Blue Tit
2 Firecrest.
An influx of Song Thrush - difficult to get an accurate count, but at least 5 or 6.

A full day out with two Philips was good fun but a bit short on birds.
Firstly at the Cap not much happened until we were leaving. It was cool earlier which may have influenced movements but two Eleonora’s Falcons left and later five Booted eagles, four pale morph and one dark morph.
I saw at least one Rock sparrow near the Cap. For the last few years, flocks of 20 to 30 have been seen at Passatge 5 but I haven’t seen any there this year although someone photographed two there.
Further up the road we saw a flock of at least 50 Song Thrush. Also a Pied flycatcher and a Redstart.
6 Plain Tiger butterflies went through.
At Salobrar de Campos, things were very quiet. Three Great egrets, Lapwings, ten Red Kite, about 90 Greater Flamingoes, Black-winged stilts and Curlew. Two Plain tiger.
A strange thing happened whilst walking down the path. There was a light easterly breeze but then suddenly a fierce wind blew for only about three seconds but it was so strong it almost knocked us over and our hats didn’t survive with poor Phil A’s favourite hat landing in the pool. I’ve never experienced such a phenomenon.
Mike

Night Heron Salbufera 11/09/19
Ruff Salbufera 11/09/19
Unknown Moth Sillot 12/09/19
Swallowtail Albufereta 12/09/19.

Steve.

Attachments

• IMG_7979 (1024x730).jpg
    IMG_7979 (1024x730).jpg
    374.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_8005 (1024x741).jpg
    IMG_8005 (1024x741).jpg
    438.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8064 (1024x732).jpg
    IMG_8064 (1024x732).jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_8139 (1024x733).jpg
    IMG_8139 (1024x733).jpg
    456.5 KB · Views: 52
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back