• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HMW Handbook of the Mammals of the World (2 Viewers)

Why did they become extinct Dave?

At the time people weren't too sure - the timing apparently didn't really fit the arrival of the ants but nobody had a better theory. The bats were still common until mid-80's then just vanished.

The Shrew is even more fascinating - it was thought to be extinct by the start of the 20th Century then storms in the mid 80's brought down some of the huge trees Abbott's Boobies breed in & two had shrews in them - so then people started looking high in the trees and none have ever been found since!

At the time people weren't too sure - the timing apparently didn't really fit the arrival of the ants but nobody had a better theory. The bats were still common until mid-80's then just vanished.

The Shrew is even more fascinating - it was thought to be extinct by the start of the 20th Century then storms in the mid 80's brought down some of the huge trees Abbott's Boobies breed in & two had shrews in them - so then people started looking high in the trees and none have ever been found since!

Fascinating, shouldn't they have been classsified as Tree Shrews?

There are around two weeks until the publishing of HMW 9. I am curious how long we have to wait until a special volume. I am also curious who will get his/her copy first. I hope my copy will arive before my birthday on 25 November otherwise I have to declare it as christmas present for myself.

An illustrated Checklist type book would complete the series nicely. And as Melanie has suggested previously it could include newly discovered species and amendments to species already covered

The Lynx website shows that the Handbook of the Mammals of the World will consist of 10 products, so an extra volume is to be produced. No indication is given of what form this volume will take.
However on rereading it may be that the tenth product is the 9 volumes already published at a reduced price for the lot.

Last edited:
Lynx now advising that volume 9 has been published.

Great to hear. There were three new descriptions of bats in October 2019 that are not included in HMW 9 (Parahypsugo happoldorum, Rhogeessa permutandis and Myotis bakeri). The book has 1008 pages which is a large as HMW 7.

Last edited:
Thanks to the PDF I did some mathematics today. There are 6,235 mammal species in the complete HMW series (vs. 5,416 in MSW3 (2005))

Apparently the references and index for volume 9 are included on a CD-ROM to keep the page numbers down.

So each time I want to look up some particular species in that volume, I need to turn on my computer? What a silly set-up. It's OK for the references, but definitely not acceptable for the index. Good thing it is the last volume, I'm afraid. Wonder how they are going to handle this for the apparently planned "Illustrated Checklist". Without an index, it would be just as well to not publish a book in the first place.

And what about changing technologies that will make read-outs of CD-ROMs impossible at some point in the not so distant future?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back