• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on a shortlist (1 Viewer)

Paskman

Hi binoculars brains trust, I have an opportunity to buy a top level binocular coming up and was after a few opinions on a shortlist that I have drawn up:

I currently have a small "collection" consisting of the following binoculars: Nikon 10x32 HGL, Opticron Discovery 7x42, Nikon 10x25 HGL, Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 and RSPB 8x20 HD. I use them primarily for birding, usually whilst walking locally, but also for general "glassing" on days out. The Nikon 10x32's are my primary birding and walking bins, the Opticron's live in the car, but are broken again (eye cup first time, this time it's the dioptre adjustor collar that has broken) and will shortly be going back to Opticron for repairs. I have previously had a Swarovski 7x42 SLC - lovely, but too heavy, a Nikon EII 8x30 - fabulous view, but needed waterproof and so sold to buy the HGLs, plus some other odds and sods.

I was looking for something lightish, to carry whilst walking, but that is bright, waterproof; I live in the country in the UK, so the light is often very poor and wide field - I love wide fields. As I have the 10x32 I was looking at a 7x or 8x; I had got the list down to either the Leica 7x42 HD Plus (smallest and brightest Alpha 42)or the Swarovski EL 8x32 (great quality, light in weight and wide field). I have tried just about every other Alpha and these suited my needs best, although I worry about the EL being a 32. However, I have recently come across a deal on a new Zeiss HT 8x42 - £1300!, which has given me a dilemma. I know that they have been discontinued, that they are heavier than I was looking to get, but they appear to be the brightest binoculars about, with a wide field, which really appeals. I cannot get to try before I buy, which really concerns me as I love the handling on the first two. So do I go with my heart and buy the Leica, my head and buy the EL or take a risk and buy the "mystery property", the Zeiss? By the way I wear glasses and have small hands. Please don't start pushing your alternative suggestions, unless they meet my criteria;) Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
For your proposed use, the "best" would be a widefield alpha 42mm assuming you're willing to carry the weight. If you're not willing to carry the weight/bulk, taking it down a bit in physical size/weight but aiming for bright and wide field, I think the EL 8x32, FL 8x32, and Monarch HG 8x42 (weight and size about like many 32mm bins) are probably going to be the best binoculars within your range of requirements/desires. Which you like among them is more personal than anything else, of course. I personally like them all a lot, and would not discount the MHG 8x42, it's a great bin and a small package.

Just be aware that the Zeiss (like all but the SF) will be less sharp in the outer field, with easily noticed optical aberrations. That's what always put me off them. If you've used a Zeiss before and not been bothered, or you only pay attention to the center of the field, you won't have a problem -- but otherwise you really should try before buying. The HT will be the brightest of your lot, the EL 32 has the better FOV. But if you haven't looked at the SF 8x42 yet, you probably should.

Brightness mainly depends on exit pupil, but in the daytime your pupil will be smaller, so negating the advantage.
If you want to observe in very dim conditions then the larger objective (for the same magnification) will give a brighter image, but will be heavier to carry. I like wide fields and use the 8x30E2 you have taken off the list. Surprising you are not after a higher power binocular or a spotting scope to enable you to look to things further off.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, good glass can be addictive.

Peter

In your described conditions and glass choices, I would go with the 8X42 instead of the 8X32. The HT is near $1700.00 dollars, if it is a mint sample or near mint, try it out and see if you can return them. Additionally they are not a difficult glass to sell, they sell fast. But if you are after a smaller size/light/bright glass with a decent FOV, the UV 7X42 will fit the bill. If you look through the HTs though, your required criteria might change. Pjosh is also right regarding the MHG 8X42, I have one and it performs extremely well.

Good Luck,

Andy W.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. The HT's are new. I have thought about the HGs, but want to move up to the top bracket, as it's a once in a lifetime chance; there do appear to have been a few minor issues on their build quality and view, I also want to keep depreciation to a minimum. I am really tempted by the ELs, especially by their weight and wide field, but the whole World does seem to have a pair; I guess there must be a reason. However, at the moment the Ultravid seem to most nearly meet the criteria. I did love them when I tried then, I like 7x and I haven't owned a Leica, which ticks a box. I have tried the Zeiss SF's, loved the field of view, but they didn't have that wow feeling to me, they also felt too big, I have small hands

I recently took that same once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a 10x42 HT and they are absolutely splendid. However, I think that if you thought the SF was decidedly too big, I don't know how you'll get along with the HT which is the same size.

I recently took that same once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a 10x42 HT and they are absolutely splendid. However, I think that if you thought the SF was decidedly too big, I don't know how you'll get along with the HT which is the same size.

I feared as much, it's looking more and more like a Leica.

Hi Paskman

Of the current x42’s, both the Zeiss HT and FL are notably large, and in contrast the Leica UV HD+ is notably compact (as is the recently discontinued Nikon EDG)
see the images from Tobias Mennle’s site at: http://www.greatestbinoculars.com/allpages/reviews/shootouts/shootoutpremier8x42s/8x42shootout.html

All of the premium models have strengths and weaknesses both optically and otherwise (including non-quantifiable aspects of the image and fit and feel)
It's not that any is a bad choice but some are likely to please you much more than others
Additionally, you can only work out so much be reading the impressions/ reviews of others
Especially for a premium model purchase, the usual caveat particularly applies - if at all possible, try before you buy

If you’re Leica inclined, you should try both the 7x42 and 8x42 UV HD+ side by side
I have both in the HD (non+) version, and as good as the 8x42 is, I find the 7x42 just so much more pleasurable for what are essentially subjective reasons
- I do have a strong preference for 7x over 8x for free standing use

Part of acquiring a premium binocular, should be joy that results from the successful search. Ultimately it’s both an intellectual and emotional choice
Good luck in your journey

John

Attachments

• Most.jpg
    Most.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 66
  • and EDG.jpg
    and EDG.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Leica vs Zeiss.jpg
    Leica vs Zeiss.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I would get the Leica HD 7x42 with your small hands. It is much smaller than an HT or SF. A 42mm will bring in 70% more light than a 32mm and show less glare than the SV 8x32. It is an alpha and will perform better than a non-alpha like a Nikon MHG 8x42. I think it is the best choice for your needs.

Last edited:
Thanks all, for your advice. I think that I had come to the same conclusion as you have recommended i.e. The Ultravid's are the way to go. They do seem to tick all of the boxes and having tried them, they did feel just right, both ergonomically and optically. I will let you know how I get on.

I have tried the Zeiss SF's, loved the field of view, but they didn't have that wow feeling to me...
Funny you should say that, it's exactly how I felt too, in a brief trial. I'd be very interested to spend a week or two with them and see whether the experience pleases me more, or I can figure out why not. Either way I do give Zeiss credit for finally cleaning up the peripheral field.

I have thought about the HGs, but want to move up to the top bracket, as it's a once in a lifetime chance; there do appear to have been a few minor issues on their build quality and view, I also want to keep depreciation to a minimum.

That's contradictory. Once in a lifetime and depreciation.
Anyway, buy whatever floats your boat and disregard any other considerations would be my 2 bits.

If your seller is trusted - go for them but I recently got scammed on Amazon by unscrupulous fraudsters on some Nikon HGL's. In fact there are some Zeiss HT's 10x42 at a stupid price of £784 on there now.....It's a con.
BEWARE
Regards......Ian

If your seller is trusted - go for them but I recently got scammed on Amazon by unscrupulous fraudsters on some Nikon HGL's. In fact there are some Zeiss HT's 10x42 at a stupid price of £784 on there now.....It's a con.
BEWARE
Regards......Ian
Cheers Ian. I only use trusted sellers. The shop with the HTs is the outlet for a well known optical manufacturer in the UK, something to do with Norsemen. Unfortunately I cannot get an equivalent deal on the Ultravids.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back