• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Buckinghamshire Red Kite turns up in Scotland (1 Viewer)

Would've thought it's far more likely that birds at feeding stations are more closely studied than those elsewhere, and therefore there is a skew towards re-sightings occurring at these sites.

That's true, but what are the chances of one bird flying all that way and turning up at a feeding station? When you think that it will have had the whole of the UK to fly over, it turned up there of all places.

I imagine that birds like these would be able to see other birds circling over areas from a distance, but it's still such a small chance of going all that way.

That's true, but what are the chances of one bird flying all that way and turning up at a feeding station? When you think that it will have had the whole of the UK to fly over, it turned up there of all places.

I imagine that birds like these would be able to see other birds circling over areas from a distance, but it's still such a small chance of going all that way.

I reckon the chances of {going all that way} and {{going all that way} AND {being noted at a feeding station}} are not a million miles apart.

Still fascinating. One of our wintering birds down here on the South Downs comes each year from the Black Isle

If my memory is correct one of the Northern Kites [Newcastle area] went down to the ones based at Harewood House [York area] and even paired up whilst down there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-11082812

Quite interesting that of all the places it turned up was at a feeding station.

It made me wonder if birds have some way of communicating with each other - is it possible that food sources are communicated amongst birds, and in particular birds like Red Kites that mix in large groups?

I wouldn't be surprised if birds do have some way of communicating food sources. It would make interesting research.

However, I imagine it is because it was at a feeding station that it was noted. It may well have had other stops en route which went unnoticed.

Interesting story.

Here in Wales we have Kites turn up from all over the UK.
At Gigrin Farm there are regular visits from the Scottish birds at feeding time.

I received a first sighting report of this particular bird back in June, not far from where it fledged, here in the Chilterns. So it made its journey up north some time after the end of June.

Regarding feeding stations, it's the obvious place to spot wing tagged kites who are flying low enough to be able to positively identify the tag.

I've also had Midland birds reported in the Chilterns, as well as the one who took a fancy to perching in my garden!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back