• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Questions re: OM-D E-M5 focus and digital teleconverter (1 Viewer)

Hi Adey, try this..firstly you need to turn the magnified view on for manual focus,then turn the dial nearest the viewfinder then it should give you different size focus boxes,14x magnification is the smallest box,then leave it there.It will reset to larger size when you turn the camera off but as i said just one press of a function button i have smallest box.Its difficult to explain this in more detail as i have not bothered loading the instructions to my computer as i know my way around a camera.

I did try to direct you specifically to the page with the measurements ... However, that takes one more click than just reading his summary impression.

Niels

Niels, i have seen the measurements page,looks like it could have been lifted from anywhere,not to accurate.The dxo tests show the difference...

Niels, i have seen the measurements page,looks like it could have been lifted from anywhere,not to accurate.The dxo tests show the difference...

You choose to believe one published measurement and dismiss the other, I choose to say (as I did in an early post in this thread) that not everyone agrees. Fine. Let us agree to disagree ;)

Niels

You choose to believe one published measurement and dismiss the other, I choose to say (as I did in an early post in this thread) that not everyone agrees. Fine. Let us agree to disagree ;)

Niels

Ok Neils,,I understand you want to praise your lens and me mine,,but I have to say that the likes of Ephotozine,Photography blog,and photozone are leagues behind DXOmark.Yourself and others should familiarize yourselves with its charts,,with the ability to compare lenses and sensors is second to none...One final note,,the panny has one ED lens where as the oly has one too,,and a super ED lens and a couple of HR lenses too,,olympus would not put these in if they did not prove they were worth it,,perhaps olympus used these to make up for the fact that the oly is slightly slower,,BUT the fact is according to DXOmark the oly is sharper in the middle and long end,,just to make sure I was not going mad i've since rechecked ,,aaannnddd its still the same conclusion...now i'm going to have a kip..

Hi Adey, try this..firstly you need to turn the magnified view on for manual focus,then turn the dial nearest the viewfinder then it should give you different size focus boxes,14x magnification is the smallest box,then leave it there.It will reset to larger size when you turn the camera off but as i said just one press of a function button i have smallest box.Its difficult to explain this in more detail as i have not bothered loading the instructions to my computer as i know my way around a camera.

OK, welshdai, Got it!

This is the first day I've had a few minutes spare to play around with the camera since getting back from holiday. It's in the button function section in the manual (page 94) and it's the 'magnify' option which states:

'Press the button once to display the zoom frame, again to
zoom in. Keep the button pressed to cancel zoom.'

Not exactly intuitive as 'zoom' sort of suggests enlarging the picture rather than minimising the the focus area when speed-reading through the options - I really must concentrate harder next time and try out every option to see what actually happens!

Incidentally, I found that using the function 1 button with my thumb for auto-focus was a bit of a tight squeeze when out in the field (due to my being left-eyed) so I swapped over to button 2 and I'm trying out whether I can use my forefinger for both it and the shutter in quick succession or whether it's better to practise using my first two fingers. The extra function buttons spread around the body of the new E-M1 (plus the seperate AFL/AEL button) may make that camera more suitable for some people, though practice with the E-M5 should prove fine with familiarity (it took me a little while to get used to the Canon 20D button layout when I first started using a seperate AF button from the shutter button on that camera).

...'Press the button once to display the zoom frame, again to
zoom in. Keep the button pressed to cancel zoom.'

Not exactly intuitive as 'zoom' sort of suggests enlarging the picture rather than minimising the the focus area when speed-reading through the options...

I should have added that,once this function is selected, you can indeed 'toggle' between the small frame and the 14x 'zoom' scene. I find this degree of enlargement of the frame too much to assist manual focus when hand-holding the camera, though.

Hi Adey...I'm glad you have worked it out,its a comprehensive,high spec cam and I'm loving playing about with it and learning new features,,its just a shame the shorter days have arrived and that the weather is starting to take a turn for the worse!

Hi Adey...I'm glad you have worked it out,its a comprehensive,high spec cam and I'm loving playing about with it and learning new features,,its just a shame the shorter days have arrived and that the weather is starting to take a turn for the worse!

It'll be interesting to see how well the weather-proofing stands up to the winter weather!

I bought mine originally to give me a more portable, yet still versatile, holiday camera but I'm using it all the time, now.

The Panasonic 100-300mm is not quite up to the quality of my favourite Sigma 400mm Apo/Macro HSM on the Canon body but the harsh reality is that I'm not getting any younger and that lens alone weighs 1440gms - almost exactly the same as my E-M5 plus my four m4/3rds lenses! It's a shame that the Olympus 75-300mm doesn't have the 'macro' feature at the 300m end of the zoom otherwise I'd be carrying even less weight around (butterflies and dragonflies are a particular interest of mine).

Firmware V2.0 looks interesting - must have a play.

Looks like they are harmonising with the OMD E-M5 'Leather Look' version - I did wonder..

Interesting to see more details on the E-M10

A few minutes later...

V2.0 now onboard - not sure that the 100 ISO update will be useful tomorrow ... we shall see if the new smaller focus zone works.

Still later - had to work out how to switch to the new size.

Well it is a lot smaller and seems OK with the 45mm 1.8 in room lighting.

Shall stop playing with Nikon and have fun with m 4/3 again.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back