• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Pf 80 EDA + Olympus E-500 (1 Viewer)

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

Have a question? Before I would like to inform you that I have limited chances to touch or test any device, because I live in one of the Central Asian Countries. Would be very thankful for your advices.

Did anybody try to use Pentax 80 angled spotting scope with Olympus DSLR E-500?

1. Is there any way that I could find a mount to connect the camera to the scope without the lense?
2. If there is no mount, is there any possibility to find an adapter to be used with Evolt-500's kit lense "14-45 mm" to use for digiscoping?
3. Had anybody used the Zhumell camera holders for DSLR digiscoping?

4. Can I use cheeper Slik tripod legs (Slik Pro 340DX Tripod (Black) with 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Quick Release) - Supports 11 lb (5 kg))with Bogen-Manfrotto 701RC2 head?

Thanx

I use my E500 to shoot directly through my TV85 scope made by Tele Vue,, I use a T mount adapter which is 2" diameter tube that goes directly into the scope mount in place of the normal diagonal,, the T mount is then attached to my E500 via an OM adapter and the Oly 3/4 to OM adapter,, can send ya a few photos of the arrangement,,

If I was going to try an afocal arrangement I would use a smaller (lighter weight) lense than the 14 - 45mm, perhaps the 50mm macro,, I don't know what is available for your scope to mount on the lense to shoot afocal,, what arrangements do you have available,,?? will the scope handle the weight of additional lens and camera,,??

I use a Manfrotto 3046 tripod with a 3063 head,, will handle up to 20 lbs,,,

Derry Mount
St. Peters, MO.

Last edited:
Derry Mount,

Thank you very much for your kind informing me.

I now have some idea about the scope and the Olympus DSLR e-500.

1. I think that it will be a great challenge to digiscope with DSLR, mean using both the camera lens and the scope eyepiece. I do not see any reason to avoid using scope eyepiece with the camera which does not allow the LIVEPREVIEW LCD screen. No big reason. The same with the afocal use. No need.

2. You were right, Derry. I need to find brighter lens, in order to use with eyepiece.

3. As regarding the SLIK tripod - the tripod is not capable to support such a big scope like Pentax 80eda. It is impossible to chase, or look at higher magnifications (zoom in). It is good for the camera, but definately no good with the scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back