• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your most anticipated futures books (2 Viewers)

Aim very much looking forward to the New Guinea guide by Phil Gregory ......

Me too - it's not every day an old mate who sat behind you in class has a field guide coming out. It's a fantastic effort - esp. as it's so unusual for a top FG to have but a single author these days - but Phil's a stickler for detail and it's bang up to date taxonomically. I'm rather pleased though that, if all goes well, I'll have just pipped him at the post by getting a book I've co-authored out just before him.

The book I most want to see otherwise is the new Oz guide if it comes up to the promised standard since, in my view, none of the current guides cut the post-Collins Bird Guide mustard. I exclude the photographic guide to WP birds on the grounds that it's clearly a myth ....

And hopefully 2017 there will be the year of Hadoram Shirihai (when else?) with four books in the row: Birds of the Western Palearctic: A Photographic Guide, Field Guide of the Seabirds of the World, and the two volumes of Birds of the World.

What's that oinking noise coming from the sky?

In addition to those mentioned above:

- A high quality Philippines field guide with up-to-date taxonomy,
- A West Africa field guide matching the quality of the Stevenson and Fanshawe guide to East Africa,
- I hope Phil Gregory's New Guinea guide meets expectations - I have found some of the illustrations in Pratt and Beehler 2nd edition surprisingly inaccurate in the field,
-I think there is zero need for another Australian field guide. While none of the available options are great, Australian birds provide relatively few identification challenges.
- I'm not sure a single comprehensive field guide for Brazil is all that desirable, for visiting birders at least. The WCS "biome" guides published so far are pretty good, and if you are doing a trip to the Atlantic Forest, for example, it's nice not to have to wade through dozens of e.g. Amazonian species.

I'm still awaiting the long gestating Steve Howell North American Bird Guide, plus I recall vague rumors of a new edition of the Nat Geo coming up. So yeah, those would be the books I continue to wait for, although I don't really expect either in 2017

In addition to those mentioned above:

- A high quality Philippines field guide with up-to-date taxonomy,
- A West Africa field guide matching the quality of the Stevenson and Fanshawe guide to East Africa,
- I hope Phil Gregory's New Guinea guide meets expectations - I have found some of the illustrations in Pratt and Beehler 2nd edition surprisingly inaccurate in the field,
-I think there is zero need for another Australian field guide. While none of the available options are great, Australian birds provide relatively few identification challenges.
- I'm not sure a single comprehensive field guide for Brazil is all that desirable, for visiting birders at least. The WCS "biome" guides published so far are pretty good, and if you are doing a trip to the Atlantic Forest, for example, it's nice not to have to wade through dozens of e.g. Amazonian species.

It's no secret that most of the illustrations in the Lynx field guides are largely culled from the "HBW" (albeit supplemented by additional images) so if you like them then they should serve you well. I can't agree, though, about the Oz guide as I found a number of the poorly drawn illustrations in several guides and in some a lack of local races confusing. Unlike guides with top notch illustrations, I found it more of a challenge to get a feel for the bird families prior to getting there. Nor would I entirely agree that identification challenges in Australia are quite as few as you suggest.

John, fair enough. I'm not saying that the last word on Australian field guides has been published, but I think it's very low on the list of "parts of the world needing a decent field guide". I do think the number of ID challenges in Australia are relatively few. That doesn't mean non-existant, but compared to most parts of the world, I think there are few ID challenges for an experienced birder.

Looks like the new Australian guide will be published in May 2017 by Bloomsbury in the UK and Princeton in the US.

http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/australian-bird-guide-9781472912350/

https://www.amazon.com/Australian-G...=1-1&keywords=AUSTRALIAN+BIRD+GUIDE+MENKHORST

The price looks reasonable.

Interesting, indeed. Any preview plates would be most welcome to quench my most pressing curiosity. In particular, I wonder whether, for once, truly ALL of Australia will be included. But then, those species from remote places might be considered to be mere ballast by the majority of potential buyers.

Is there actually ANY news on the status of these 2 (Zimmer- Brasil and Pearman - Argentina)?

KR,

filip

I posted some time ago regarding Argentina, that I was told by my regular book supplier that this is not now happening. Jim Martin says it is and he should know better than my supplier I guess?

A

I'm still awaiting the long gestating Steve Howell North American Bird Guide, plus I recall vague rumors of a new edition of the Nat Geo coming up. So yeah, those would be the books I continue to wait for, although I don't really expect either in 2017

Nat Geo 7th edition will be published on 21 September 2017 according to Book Depository

Users who are viewing this thread

Back