• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Score 1 to the Whales (1 Viewer)

NIK III

Hi All
Someone has just passed me a clipping from the Times 4/3/06. It seems that Sperm Whales in Alaska are outwitting the fishermen. They have worked out that the sound of the fishing boats engines means a ready meal. They dive shallower than normal and wait for the change in engine noise which indicates that the catch is being winched up. They then move in and take the fish off the long lines leaving the fishermen with just lips. The behaviour is being researched by the University of Alaska but they have not yet figured out how to outwit the whales. We hear so much about how much damage long line fishermen do to the wildlife. I thought it was rather nice to hear how the wildlife is getting the better of the long line fishermen. :clap:
Roy.

Hi Roy,
Nice story,I always like to hear about nature getting one over us humans!!lol!! :t:
When my husband was sea fishing last summer I was watching Gannets and Dolphins out in the bay all afternoon catching loads as the Mackeral were running but.....not a bite for hubby!!!! :-O
Best wishes,

Brilliant i love success storys with wildlife more often than not it is bad like the whale in the thems or something nearly extinct ( amur leopard)

Hi roy,

That's like the story I posted a while ago - local fishermen were wondering why they weren't catching any fish. They didn't realise the seals were watching them from out in the loch, and scaring away the fish. Love it!!!!

Cheers :t: :flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back