• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need your votes!! Maltese poll - Urgent (2 Viewers)

Hi Jod,

Thanks for the link. It looks like they will be hunting again next year. It was the ideal opportunity for the Minister to say as they could not control illegal hunting spring hunting would not be allowed again. If he had wanted to end it and save face why didn't he do it. Sorry can't find the right words again but I think sadly they will still be slaughtering the birds next Spring.

Ann :-C :egghead:

Done my votes too; and I try to spread it into the German speaking crowd. So far, Switzerland and recipients of Lake of Constance bird info. Maybe, some others could spread it in their countries? Let's hope for the best.

Sorry can't find the right words again but I think sadly they will still be slaughtering the birds next Spring.

Ann

Your right, people don't change overnight, it will take a long time to curb a practice that is socially been accepted. But the dialogue has begun, and it's important to continue to nurture the idea that wildlife is worth protecting, and to let the Maltese govt. know that you all care. But it is equally important that the people of Maltese find it in themselves to care about wildlife. How long that takes is the key. Sometimes people need a bump to get it sooner than later.

Thanks Ayasuda,

I knew they wouldn't change overnight as it were but they have now been in the EU 4 years and a lot of meetings, correspondence etc. with the EU Commissioner. We can all be blind or deaf when we don't want to change things there is usually a key somewhere but we just can't find it, if that makes sense.

As the government has decided against a golf course in favour of another reserve that could mean more birds using the islands which could be slaughtered but we will keep trying. I hope I can rely on this level of support if we need it again next year.

At least the appeal to replace the damaged trees has been started by Foresta 2000 and I have heard from BirdLife Malta today that they are hoping to put it on their website this weekend so anyone can donate using credit cards or whatever.

Thanks again to everybody. As I was reading the email from Birdlife Malta a male Greenfinch appeared on a feeder, the first I have seen in a long time and I think he approved.

Ann :egghead:

I'm leaving a little inspiration for those who are willing to go to bat for hawks.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/index.php?pr=History

It's amazing what people can do when they put there minds to it. I was told that Irma Broun was about 5 ft tall, and she stood watch at the entrance to Hawk Mt., while her husband counted the hawks. Irma's job was to greet all the hunters and let them know that the mountain top is accessible for those who left their guns with her. Apparently Irma meant business, because she kept her post for 20 years. The rest is history.

Looks like the Times of Malta poll is closed now. What was the final result?

The other poll is at 63/36/1 in favour of iva with a total of 3897 votes (if I guessed the word Twegibiet correctly). Thus still the same. We need more iva voters!

Last edited:
I'm leaving a little inspiration for those who are willing to go to bat for hawks.

http://www.hawkmountain.org/index.php?pr=History

It's amazing what people can do when they put there minds to it. I was told that Irma Broun was about 5 ft tall, and she stood watch at the entrance to Hawk Mt., while her husband counted the hawks. Irma's job was to greet all the hunters and let them know that the mountain top is accessible for those who left their guns with her. Apparently Irma meant business, because she kept her post for 20 years. The rest is history.

Very inspirational indeed! Thanks for the link.

Jo

I just voted Iva. Poll was still open.

Just wanted to say that unless the developers of the poll are incredibly STUPID, they will group the votes by http referrer and throw out any blocks of votes that are being funnelled from specific websites.

In other words, if you don't want to invalidate a great cause like this then DON'T POST A CLICKABLE LINK!!!!!!

When the pollsters analyze the data, they will see hundreds of YES votes all being directed from birdforum.net and throw away all of the votes.

It is a real shame to have wasted this opportunity by making the link clickable.

if you used hxxp://blahblahblah.com then the people here would have to copy and paste the link into their browser and that would hide the fact that the ballot box was being stuffed.

Hopefully the hunting site is also ignorant about this (I thought) obvious point.

The response from all has been great, and I am sure each of the vote has counted. Without this forum we couldn't have done it.

Terry, they can still log the IP and then statistically know from where the votes originate. There are a number of technical ways in which one can identify what the votes actually are. I think the most important thing is to create an awareness that many people care about the hunting situation in Malta, Maltese or not.

Thanks

The response from all has been great, and I am sure each of the vote has counted. Without this forum we couldn't have done it.

Terry, they can still log the IP and then statistically know from where the votes originate. There are a number of technical ways in which one can identify what the votes actually are. I think the most important thing is to create an awareness that many people care about the hunting situation in Malta, Maltese or not.

Thanks

I am very glad you posted this link (which I copied and pasted :)).

Discarding votes by IP address is hard to do because Maltese citizens could be vacationing or expatriots.

They would not expect non-Maltese people to "find" the poll. But noticing hundreds of votes being referred to their news site by a birding forum would make anyone suspicious.

This was a great pointer and I am glad I got the chance to vote but in the future, please present such links in a non-clickable format.

Hi Folks,

Wasn't sure where to put this but BirdLife Malta have issued a long report on the impact of spring hunting in Malta giving details of ringed birds shot and of course which countries they breed in, given the chance.

http://birdlifemalta.org/

Some birds flying over Malta breed in only one country so the hunters are virtually killing them all, another man-made extinction may be about to happen to certain populations. Sorry I don't know how else to put that. Birds that use other routes are hopefully safe from man anyway.

Lengthy reading but I have saved it to show what I and others are fighting to stop.

Ann :-C :egghead:

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back