• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Pipit From Kuwait (1 Viewer)

Looks like Richard's pipit,rather than Blyth's due to bill shape, lack of lore , striped mantle, difuse gr cov., and distinct bars on tertails.

Omar

There seems to be something wrong with this bird and certainly it looks short-tailed, which would favour Blyth's Pipit. Blyth's also lacks a loral-stripe and has a streaked mantle. The bill shape may be deceptive and part of what is wrong with the bird. I must admit the median covert pattern doesn't favour Blyth's so this is certainly an interesting bird.

Cheers

Roy

What would a Tawny look like with a dodgy (caked) bill and all the feathers missing from the loral area?

Actually, having looked again, I would favour Blyth's

Last edited:
Not so sure your first impression was wrong Stuart, as I had the same when I saw this bird yesterday evening. I wanted to comment but somehow I forgot.

Granted the face pattern is bland (thus suggestive of Richard's/Blyth's) with no black loral line nor a black crescent below the eye. But all the rest looks ok for Tawny pipit, including structure and very yellowish colouration lacking the richer buff tones of Richard's and Blyth's pipits, especially on the flanks. Also this bird shows very unconspicuous mantle, breast and crown streaking.

Compare with the middle left bird in this page: http://birdsofkazakhstan.com/tawny-pipit-anthus-campestris/

Not so sure your first impression was wrong Stuart, as I had the same when I saw this bird yesterday evening. I wanted to comment but somehow I forgot.

Granted the face pattern is bland (thus suggestive of Richard's/Blyth's) with no black loral line nor a black crescent below the eye. But all the rest looks ok for Tawny pipit, including structure and very yellowish colouration lacking the richer buff tones of Richard's and Blyth's pipits, especially on the flanks. Also this bird shows very unconspicuous mantle, breast and crown streaking.

Compare with the middle left bird in this page: http://birdsofkazakhstan.com/tawny-pipit-anthus-campestris/

Yes, that bird would certainly look similar if it had the diseased(?) beak area of the OP bird. I was worried about the plain cheek and under eye areas, but your link is very useful

I agree. Tawny certainly went through my mind but the head pattern put me off, not that it is a match for Richard's or Blyth's either.

Cheers

Roy

I had Tawney in my mind too, espacially when the upnormal mass in the basee of the bill obscure the lore and the bird jizz is non Tawny like espacially on the stand and rather short bill and tail besid the bird no well condition, however, i did not like the bill shape espacially for the upper column for Tawny and color and gre cov. for the vagrant Blyth's for Kuwait.

Omar

Th beak is slightly open in the 1st photo - which might be affecting the impression of bill weight. My 1st thought was Tawny... with dodgy lores

What an interesting bird. As Roy from Tring says it is short tailed and bland faced which favours Blyth's. Can the short tail lie? The bill is short too although it could be diseased. It is also pot bellied which favours Blyth's (and Richards) over Tawny. Yet the mantle is not so heavily streaked and other patterns such as coverts suit Tawny as Tibs and others have said.

I personally dont think it looks structurally like a tawny (at least in the side ways view), how can it with such a short tail and robust look?
I managed to find one other feature mentioned on eastern websites. Apparently Blyth's pipit has a pale hindneck. Is any there a hint of that?

Are there any more pictures no matter how poor? Rob

Rob

Last edited:
Happy to read you guys. I saw the post immediately when posted, and thought a Tawny but those lores... I'm crazy?

I excluded Richards immediately, and I could see it didn't match Blyth's. Agree on unusual-looking Tawny.

Id Warbler From kuwait

Upcher.s or Olive-tree Warbler???-
Kuwait
18-4-2015

Attachments

• 4-19-2015 7-06-37 PM.jpg
    4-19-2015 7-06-37 PM.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 4-19-2015 7-03-28 PM.jpg
    4-19-2015 7-03-28 PM.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 28
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back