• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser vs Great Black Backed Gulls (1 Viewer)

katastrofa

Supporter
Norway
I'm seeing black-backed gulls quite often in London now. How can I tell if they're lesser black-backed, or great black-backed gulls? Is the size the only difference?

Size certainly isn't the only difference. In the first instance, I suggest having a look at this BTO video (though there's more that could be said on the subject). Then perhaps investing in the Collins Bird Guide (there are Collins guides with rather similar names, the one you want is by Svensson, Mullarney & Zetterstrom).

In London, you're more likely to see LBBG rather than GBBG.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the excellent video link Jonno. Lesser black-backs are indeed quite commonly seen throughout the city and I see greater black-backs fairly regularly on a stretch of the Thames (where these two snapshots were taken) while watching peregrines. The sheer size, especially when seen in company with other gulls, and very apparent bulk, broad wings, and heavy bill, really stand out. Lesser black-backs are no bigger than herring gulls - often seeming to be a little smaller and slimmer.

Attachments

• IMG_4151_02.JPG
    IMG_4151_02.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20170828_110027_01.JPG
    20170828_110027_01.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 65
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back