• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Darwin's Finches, Santa Cruz, The Galapagos (May 22, 2018) (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took these on May 22, 2018 on Isla Santa Cruz in the Galapagos.

The first two -- likely the same bird, but not 100% sure -- were taken at Las Bachas Beach. I am thinking Small Ground.

The third one was taken along Cerro Dragon trail, thinking Medium Ground.

The last one was also taken near Cerro Dragon, thinking Cactus Ground?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• darwin_finch1.jpg
    darwin_finch1.jpg
    213.7 KB · Views: 18
  • darwin_finch2.jpg
    darwin_finch2.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 19
  • darwin_finch3.jpg
    darwin_finch3.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 15
  • darwin_finch1s.jpg
    darwin_finch1s.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 18
It's been a couple years since I was in the Galapagos and don't have a guide handy. The last bird is definitely Common Cactus-Finch. I don't see anything to suggest that your Ground-Finch ID's are incorrect but Small vs Medium is not a trivial ID, varies by island, and I honestly don't remember them well enough to comment more :)

Compare here: https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Small_Ground_Finch

I actually think you might be in the situation where on larger islands you often have two groups within the medium ground finch complex: one with smaller and one with larger bills. I think image 1 and 2 belong to the smaller-billed Medium, and the third image to the larger-billed Medium.

Disclaimer: my books for this area are in Dominica and I am not.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back