• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh harriers? southeast Sicily (1 Viewer)

Kinthissa

seen on 1 June hunting over marshlands by the sea, two harrier-type birds

i cannot make sense of the bird in 2nd photo - is it a female Marsh harrier in her first adult plumage?

Attachments

• p1400672.jpg
    p1400672.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 121
  • p1400673.jpg
    p1400673.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 126
Certainly Marsh Harrier, but I'd be hard pressed to try and age/sex it/them from these photos.

Recent studies of a French population have shown that this species is more difficult (and in som cases impossible) to sex and age, than was formerly thought.

Peter

Certainly Marsh Harrier, but I'd be hard pressed to try and age/sex it/them from these photos.

Recent studies of a French population have shown that this species is more difficult (and in som cases impossible) to sex and age, than was formerly thought.

Peter

Transvestite raptor
Male marsh harriers are mostly grey, with yellow eyes, while females are brown with white heads and shoulders, and brown eyes. Females are also about 30 per cent bigger than males.

Not all males obey the gender rules, though. Up to 40 per cent of them have mainly brown feathers with no greys at all, though they do still have the yellow eyes that mark them as male, and are no bigger than expected for their gender. These female-like males acquire their unusual colour in their second year, and keep it for the rest of their lives.

More here:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21138-zoologger-the-only-cross-dressing-bird-of-prey/

Thank you, Peter and Valéry. After poring over Forsman photos, I could only come up with immature female ... in a way it's a relief to know it can't all be figured out, even if I had a taken decent picture.

It was my first time seeing Marsh harriers hunting over marshes (harried by a crow). Vendicari Nature Reserve, hundreds of flamingos, and a family of Tadorna tadorna.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back