• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hairy or Downy (1 Viewer)

craig whitmore

Do I have hairy or Downey woodpecker. Left the nuthatch in pictures for size comparison.

Craig

Well those sure are lousey pictures. Back to the drawing board to see if I can't do better
Craig

Attachments

• downey-hairy crop.jpg
    downey-hairy crop.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 168
  • downey-hairy crop2.jpg
    downey-hairy crop2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
It would help a lot if you could simply tell us how tall your feeder was because the size difference between the Downy and Hairy is 100% diagnostic and with a yardstick like feeder height to go on, the ID would be a snap.

The second picture seems to show a bill length that would point towards a Hairy Woodpecker.

if that is a suet cage i think its size indicates downy but its bill looks a little beefy for a downy its a tough call but im guessing downy

Terry O'Nolley said:
It would help a lot if you could simply tell us how tall your feeder was because the size difference between the Downy and Hairy is 100% diagnostic and with a yardstick like feeder height to go on, the ID would be a snap.

The second picture seems to show a bill length that would point towards a Hairy Woodpecker.

Terry: cage is 5x4.5x1.5--I've tried using size as tool as some days the rascals cover the cage and then, as today, only partialy. Size would indicate
downey, but the bill screwed me up. Also have a couple of acorn woodpeckers hanging out here, and they are about twice the size of this guy.
I'm going to take some more picture without using zoom so I can get aperature open wider and shutter faster.
Here is the origional photo before I cropt it
Craig

Attachments

• origional woodpecker.jpg
    origional woodpecker.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 140
If you are sure that the Acorn Woody was quite noticably larger, then that would make this one a Downy - as the Hairy is the same size as the Acorn.

But even Downys are supposed to be 6.5 inches long and on a 5.5 inch feeder that thing looks TINY!

I think Downy, too, if the bill is no longer than what looks like a glump of suet on its tip. The flufft nasal tuft also looks more like Downy than Hairy. The bird's overall size is a little hard to judge, though, as it looks to me like it's hanging at quite an angle on the face of the suet cage; the nuthatch also doesn't appear to be on the same focal plane, so it makes relative size also a little difficult. But I'll still vote for Downy over Hairy. :t:

I'll go with Downy. (Size in the fieldguides are just averages. Some birds will be bigger & some will be smaller.) If you look at the beak length and the nasal tuft along with the length of the tail. A hairy would have more tail under the feeder.

This one also has two black spots on the outer white tail feather. In the east that makes it a downy. Do western hairy ever have that? Despite the rather robust beak, it is short enough compared to the head for a downy.

Scott

craig whitmore said:
Do I have hairy or Downey woodpecker. Left the nuthatch in pictures for size comparison.

Craig

Well those sure are lousey pictures. Back to the drawing board to see if I can't do better
Craig

This is certainly a downy woodpecker. It's beak isn't clearly seen, but from what I can see of it it is in Downy territory. The size is small. I have boh come to feeders like yours, and the hairies fit much less well.

Besides, it looks like a downy. They have different faces.

Alan

cavan wood said:
This one also has two black spots on the outer white tail feather. In the east that makes it a downy. Do western hairy ever have that?
Yep, "Pacific" Hairy Woodpeckers have black spots on the outer rectrices, which is why it's difficult to use that as a field mark unless the location of the bird is known. I also can't find just how far these tail-marked Hairies extend -- the entire NA Pacific coastal area and inland to the Rockies, or limited to west of the various "coastal" ranges (Sierra Nevada, Cascades, etc.). Anybody know?

We have them here in Eldorado County of Ca. I looked at a couple of Hairys today and the black spots on the outer rectrices appear to be only on the upper third of the feather and there is usually only one or two spots and also only on the inner half of the feather. I don't know if this helps, just my observation.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back