• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you identify this bird? (1 Viewer)

kathijo

Hi. I took this shot at Tampa Bay in the Rocky Point area. I have no idea what bird this is. Can anyone identify it?
Thanks,
Kathi

Attachments

• bird.jpg
    bird.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 185
Far be it from me to disagree with JanJ about seabirds, but the size and shape of that bill looks more like Caspian to me. It's much more substantial, especially the gonydeal angle, than what I've seen of Royals (and Elegants -- two species I have a hard time separating in the field without good, long looks at 'em). Its color is also much deeper into the red tones than Royal, unless there might be some regional variation (all the terns I'm familiar with I've seen off the NA southwest coast).

hi katy and kathi,

the bill just looks reddish. jan's absolutely right with royal tern. as a start, caspian always has a dark end of bill with a tiny yellowish tip. it's gonydeal angle is closer to the tip, the colour is deep red. but what makes this a royal (versus caspian) on first sight is the extensive white front.
salute,

So the gonydeal angle being closer to the tip in Caspian is probably what gives it the more substantial depth to the bill? I'll definitely file that away for future reference. :t: The duskiness of the Caspian tip, though, must be pretty variable because I've definitely seen lots of this species where it was hardly discernible, other times where the tip was entirely black.

But I'm confused by the "extensive white front". I've never seen a Royal or Caspian that wasn't completely white on the breast/belly...?

See, I knew I shouldn't have challenged Jan! ;) But I always learn something new when I do. Thanks, Lou!

I think he meant "extensive white front" on the head.

Not a Caspian because:
- crest too long
- forehead too white
- no black tip on bill

yes, i meant extensive white forehead and not "front", sorry. i'm afraid the placement of the gonydeal isn't much of use in the field, just in photos or when seen at close range. neither is the bicoloured bill tip (sometimes a bit faded but always visible in good pics like this); essentially are the features mentioned by jan (head pattern) and in flight of course the blackish (dark grey) primaries on underside of caspian tern.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back