• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mystery Diver (1 Viewer)

Ruby

...Well it is to me, at any rate...

Probably just me being a bit thick, but anyone know what this is??

Thanks in advance..... Ruby

Attachments

• Mystery Diver.jpg
    Mystery Diver.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 411
Blimey - that was quick...

Thanks guys - I can see a description of this in my book now, but no picture.

Seen at Bough Beech in Kent today - are they common??

I've always assumed that we were supposed to refer to white-headed Cormorants like this as 'sinensis types' because you can't be sure that it's not an older carbo with more white than usual.

Very difficult to tell with the angle of this pic but the gular pouch looks large so it might well be sinensis. I am trying to discourage local observers from describing a bird as sinensis based on white filoplumes alone. Check out http://www.paxton-pits.org.uk/cormorant/id/ for some detailed analysis of Cormorant types.

Nice pic BTW.

Last edited:
Fifebirder said:
I've always assumed that we were supposed to refer to white-headed Cormorants like this as 'sinensis types' because you can't be sure that it's not an older carbo with more white than usual.

I've had it drummed into me that white-headed cormorants are as likely to be old males as sinensis... however:

I'm sure Martin (Garner) won't mind me posting this. I mean't to ask him why it was a def sinensis.. I gather they are getting quite numerous inland in Yorkshire.

Attachments

• Cormorant - sinensis.jpg
    Cormorant - sinensis.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 302
I've seen Cormorants with as many filofaxes as this one nesting on the Farne Islands - very likely to be all carbo - so I'd agree with just ordinary Cormorant, no racial ident possible on this view.

Michael

I've got some other photos from different angles if that would help... bit more blurry unfortunately...

What aspect would be best??

Here's a couple of other views - they're not very clear I'm afraid...

Attachments

• Mystery Diver 2.jpg
    Mystery Diver 2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 233
  • Mystery Diver 3.jpg
    Mystery Diver 3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 279
Jane Turner said:
I've had it drummed into me that white-headed cormorants are as likely to be old males as sinensis... however:

I'm sure Martin (Garner) won't mind me posting this. I mean't to ask him why it was a def sinensis.. I gather they are getting quite numerous inland in Yorkshire.

Isn't this a photo of a Shag ?

I understand the point about the degree of the gular patch, but it still doesn't look like a classic sinensis. Could of course be a carbo x sinensis as these are quite common at Abberton and other southern nest sites.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back