• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id ? (1 Viewer)

Nicolas Brussel

Hi

This is my first post on this forum !
Can you put a name on this bird ?

Thanks
Nicolas

Attachments

• id.jpg
    id.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 277
Last edited:
Not saying it isn't one, but doesn't juvenile Water Rail have a completely pale bum and more comprehensive striping on the underparts? It's difficult to tell how long the bill is, but it looks more like a juvenile Moorhen to me.

Jason

Hi Nicolas,

Welcome to BirdForum!

Juvenile Moorhen for me too - Water Rail doesn't have the whitish streaks on the flanks, and is a smaller, slenderer bird.

Michael

OK guys,
After spending a half hour googling through images of young Rallidae - I admit you are right. Juvenile Gallinula chloropus for me as well. As Michael said the white streaks are a giveaway. Bluetail both have a white bum when juvenile.

cuckooroller said:
Bluetail both have a white bum when juvenile.
They do, but I should have highlighted the crucial word "completely" in my previous post. Unless I'm very much mistaken juv Moorhen has a dark dividing line in the centre - as indeed the adults do. You can just see it on Nicholas's photo.

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back