• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants or Shags? (1 Viewer)

Fuchsia

Bug Babe
Hello Folks,
I took these a few days ago on the Quiberon Coast and had the 3 birds on the right as Shags. Am I right or are they cormorants?

Best wishes
Jen :))

Attachments

• 140304-(3).jpg
    140304-(3).jpg
    55 KB · Views: 298
  • 140304-(4).jpg
    140304-(4).jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 272
Yup shags it is - look for the crest and a steeper forehead than cormorants. In the field size is a good indicator and a lack of white around the beak.

Karwin said:
(Guess what I found when picture-googled "shag"? Eeyore doing Piglet... Nothing more offensive at first page, surprisingly though...)

I'm baffled, and just a touch dissapointed at google.

Many thanks chaps :))
I felt a little silly after posting this - what threw me was that the French call a Shag a Cormoran Huppe and the English translation (by Babel) is crested cormorant. Confused? Me too!
I did think the one on the left was a Cormorant tho, so that's good to know :)
K - Google does that a lot - it's not safe to search for anything these days!!

Jen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back