• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sichuan Birding (1 Viewer)

Nice to read your report and some great shots Jocko ! We must get together for a chat and a drink (maybe Dev and Anders too ?) as I'd really love to include a Sichuan trip next Spring in the 2015 itinerary (not sure if you are up for it Dev) !

Last edited:
Yay ML! Kudos on the big 1k (likewise to CC when you speak to him next). Been a busy year for hitting four figures with Tong getting there earlier...

Thanks everyone!!!

Adding a few more pix to boost your Sichuan hunger even more...
(Gretchen, time to head SW to id them live ;) )

Cheers
jocko

Congratulations, Jocko! Some quality birds in there and a major milestone to hit 1,000 species in China. :t:B :)

Attachments

• DSC_2387.jpg
    DSC_2387.jpg
    660.5 KB · Views: 196
  • DSC_2471.jpg
    DSC_2471.jpg
    964.5 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC_2525.jpg
    DSC_2525.jpg
    963.7 KB · Views: 207
  • DSC_2844.jpg
    DSC_2844.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 206
  • DSC_2829.jpg
    DSC_2829.jpg
    856.6 KB · Views: 183
Jocko I'd like to add my congratulations - but have to remind you it's now time for the more serious business of 'operation Swedish cheese to Chengdu' - me and Roland depend on you for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You also know that the Monals are Roland's radio-controlled birds - the trip I ran parallel to yours was up on Balang just a few of days before you guys, even though the weather was perfect, didn't get a sniff of any chickens on the upper slopes.
Actually I'm pretty relieved you saw those birds - an August birder who went up with Zeng Zhang reported that the construction workers who have just built that perspex extension to the tunnel (a greenhouse arrangement to help melt the ice that builds up at the end of the tunnel during winter) were hunting on those slopes - they saw them carrying a Marmot carcass to their camp kitchen. With my last two trips not seeing a Monal - I started to speculate whether they'd also hit the wok. Luckily it seems not.

But seriously - well done - they were a tough set of birds you needed, and in such a short time.

Last edited:
Jocko I'd like to add my congratulations - but have to remind you it's now time for the more serious business of 'operation Swedish cheese to Chengdu' - me and Roland depend on you for that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You also know that the Monals are Roland's radio-controlled birds - the trip I ran parallel to yours was up on Balang just a few of days before you guys, even though the weather was perfect, didn't get a sniff of any chickens on the upper slopes.
Actually I'm pretty relieved you saw those birds - an August birder who went up with Zeng Zhang reported that the construction workers who have just built that perspex extension to the tunnel (a greenhouse arrangement to help melt the ice that builds up at the end of the tunnel during winter) were hunting on those slopes - they saw them carrying a Marmot carcass to their camp kitchen. With my last two trips not seeing a Monal - I started to speculate whether they'd also hit the wok. Luckily it seems not.

But seriously - well done - they were a tough set of birds you needed, and in such a short time.

Hi Sid,

Definitely worth reporting the construction workers if they are hunting here - 3 years ago I reported some tragopan hunters that were inside Wolong and the authorities actually removed them that week - very impressive!

Well done Jocko - still 163 to go for me!

James

Definitely worth reporting the construction workers if they are hunting here - 3 years ago I reported some tragopan hunters that were inside Wolong and the authorities actually removed them that week - very impressive!

Hi James,
I only just got to hear about the hunters at the end of September - and with no pictures of the perpetrators, too late to do much about it!!!!
The incident is recorded in Petri Hottola's very thorough report on his trip to Sichuan - you can find it at club300 - http://www.club300.se/Files/TravelReports/Sichuan14.pdf

If anybody does see anything untowards in the Balang area then you now have a place to report - the nature protection station at the bottom of the eastern side of the pass.
It looks like these guys might already have been in action - the old couple who run the water station just bellow the Monal site seem to have 'lost' their goats and pigs, which were starting to create havoc with the neighboring orchid pasture. Hopefully it was the local conservation workers who saw to that?

Nice to read your report and some great shots Jocko ! We must get together for a chat and a drink (maybe Dev and Anders too ?) as I'd really love to include a Sichuan trip next Spring in the 2015 itinerary (not sure if you are up for it Dev) !

Anders has already left SH. I would love to follow the tradition started by McM but a trip to Sichuan needs lot of homework n mainly holidays which i don't see anywhere in my work contract.:C

Congrats, Jocko! Which species brought you this achievement?

@Dev... a female Dark-Rumped Rosefinch...!

Not quite the Flamingo or Steller's Sea-Eagle or similar or kind of stonker, which one would have thought more appropriate for the big celebration. But it did cause some id challenge which of course always is good!

Cheers
jocko

Attachments

• DSC_2876-2.jpg
    DSC_2876-2.jpg
    887.4 KB · Views: 213
  • DSC_2865.jpg
    DSC_2865.jpg
    920.8 KB · Views: 205
China guy, James, all,
Am currently planning a trip for next May-June, the trad time of year, and I'm sure things have changed since my cancelled trip in 2008 (cancelled 2 weeks before due to the earthquake). We'll have about 16 days out of Chengdu, we don't plan to concentrate on the plateau species (but can quickly bird areas we have to drive through), and if at all possible, we'd like to wedge in a try for Blackthroat.

I appreciate we won' be able to totally clean up in 16 days so ideas for how best to spend the time would be great.

Otherwise, we're planning a basic Sichuan itinerary. If anyone could pass on some tips or suggestions on sites and routes, that would be superb. I should be at the OBC meeting in London on 22nd so if anyone is there, we could chat (and I'll bring a map!).

Thanks,
Andy

Hi Andy,

It's too early to recommend any itinerary really - I only really decide ours by late March/early April as you nver quite know what the latest situation will be. Next May should see the whole suite of sites available (Wawu, Labahe, Longcanggou), giving you a bit of a headache but who knows - perhaps the first two won't quite be open in time.
Although, quite rightly, you'd prefer to spend time looking for Sichuan stuff than plateau stuff (presumably because it's all easy in Qinghai/Tibet), you would have to drive over part of the plateau anyway to reach the forested areas west of Juizhaigou so you would see it all on the drive (that's what we do).

Blackthroats - one site is definitely closed next year, the other site will be very difficult access, again, a bit too early to say - we only got access confirmed a few weeks beforehand this year.

Perhaps Sid can offer more concrete advice, but I wouldn't stick my neck out till March!

Cheers

J

Wawu ?

It's good to see that this superb site may re-open in 2015, but how much of the habitat has survived and will survive- with enormously increased footfall ?

Does anyone know what's been done, there, apart from this, for example: http://www.hassellstudio.com/en/cms-projects/detail/wawu-shan-resort-and-hotel/ ? I understand that the access road was to be improved, too. And, with any luck, a new, rust-free and non-creaking cable car (!).

Sid will know how much I loved this place and what a great time we all had there- apart from that pesky, 'fading-away-in-the-mist' singing Golden Bush Robin.

Thanks, James - excellent info, very useful indeed. So perhaps we just need to get some long-hauls under our belts for now...

Hi Andy,
I'm out guiding at the moment, have just been a couple of days without internet access, and at the moment sitting in a hotel at Maerkang - so here's a late reply

James hit the nail on the head - it's very difficult to plan precise itineraries because Sichuan birding situations can change rapidly. I was in Longcanggou just 4 days ago (three visits without problems this autumn) - but I'm never 100% sure if I'm going to get in until I'm through the gates. I'm sure this years access will depend on road development - once that starts in earnest I think we'll have problems - but when that should start???? You can rarely find an accurate answer to those sort of questions - and there's never really anyone who can give you a promise of entry - especially if you're asking months in advance.

As to Labahe - even if open, the big problem with that site may be convenient access - the G318 road from Yaan to Kangding is being rebuilt into a motorway - I think the delays on that route have already made a lot of Kangding traffic start taking the longer and, often congested, Shimian route. We'll only be able to find out the full extent of this problem next spring.

With the reopening of Wawu -John has hit the nail on the head there - what will we find????? At the moment I haven't talked to anybody who knows what has gone on at the site - and I don't know if I'm brave enough to go and see what has happened before I get some idea over the scale of change!!!!!
Just hope the days of Golden Bush Robin - mist or no mist - can once again be relived at that site

One thing that has become better this last year is access to the western parts of Sichuan. At the moment no registration of foreigners or other hassles at checkpoints.

As for this trip - mainly mammals - great views of a berry eating Red Panda at Longcanggou - lots of good stuff at Wolong/Balang - Takin, Hog Badger showing well and Glover's Pika in stone wall holes on the Rilong side of the pass - lots of ungulates and a Leopard Cat. Today we got a pair of very curious Sichuan Jay after just a couple of minutes walking at Mengbi - tomorrow Ruoergai.

good luck
Sid

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back