• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Please Oh Please Let Me Be Right!! (1 Viewer)

Tammie

Hi Forum!
I'm so excited!!! I just spotted this lovely bird sitting on the power line above my driveway while another one was on the neighbour's roof. Oh, I hope I'm right!! :bounce:
Is this an eastern Bluebird???!! The lighting was bad (strongly backlit) so I didn't get a good look but just looking at the chest...... it has to be!! This is the only photo I got before it flew away and it's been blown up a bit so it's not the best quality.
If I'm right, this is the first bluebird I've seen since moving here and only the second and third I've ever seen in my life!!
What else do they eat besides mealworms (that I can't get here)? Now I'm almost desperate to get a bluebird house put up!!!
Yahoo!! Yippee!!! They ARE here!! **Just about bursting with joy and excitement!**

Attachments

• Bluebird2,June9'04.jpg
    Bluebird2,June9'04.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Hi Tammie,
Yes,this is an Eastern Bluebird!The pattern of the face/breast allow the bird to be identified.Well done!
Harry

your bluebird

Tammie said:
Hi Forum!
I'm so excited!!! I just spotted this lovely bird sitting on the power line above my driveway while another one was on the neighbour's roof. Oh, I hope I'm right!! :bounce:
Is this an eastern Bluebird???!! The lighting was bad (strongly backlit) so I didn't get a good look but just looking at the chest...... it has to be!! This is the only photo I got before it flew away and it's been blown up a bit so it's not the best quality.
If I'm right, this is the first bluebird I've seen since moving here and only the second and third I've ever seen in my life!!
What else do they eat besides mealworms (that I can't get here)? Now I'm almost desperate to get a bluebird house put up!!!
Yahoo!! Yippee!!! They ARE here!! **Just about bursting with joy and excitement!**
Hi Tammie:Yes you caught an eastern bluebird male as I can see a tinge of red on his breast.They were gone or very rare in northern Ohio until recently now they are populating the area again.I did enjoy the company of a mated pair last night.Always a thrill in this land ruled by robin thrushes.Maybe you should look into a nestbox program.
Sam

Harry Hussey said:
Oh boy, that sure put my photo to shame now, didn't it?! ;)

samuel walker said:
Hi Tammie:Yes you caught an eastern bluebird male as I can see a tinge of red on his breast.They were gone or very rare in northern Ohio until recently now they are populating the area again.I did enjoy the company of a mated pair last night.Always a thrill in this land ruled by robin thrushes.Maybe you should look into a nestbox program.
Sam
Sam, that's a really good idea. I don't know how prolific bluebirds around here. I should check into that.

"Yes you caught an Eastern Bluebird male as I can see a tinge of red on his breast."

Sam

Sam, as it seems to be Eastern, not Western, what makes you think that it is a male and not female??

Regards

Malky

Agree with Malky and Michael, this is a female. In addition to the gray head of this bird, the males are brighter, even on the chest, and they don't have the white eyering that you can see this bird has.

Either gender, Tammie, major congratulations!!!

Beverlybaynes said:
Congratulations, Tammie! How exciting for you!

You can order mealworms, by the way, and have them delivered.
Thanks Katy! And Beverly, I just might check into that!
On another note, I was thrilled first thing this morning to watch a male ruby throated hummer sit and eat at the brand new feeder I put yesterday. Looks like it might be successful! :)

Tammie said:
Hi Forum!

Very happy for you Tammie! Your excitement carries over to us all!

Mike

I ran into this thread last night when I joined to ask about the birds nesting in my yard. To my complete shock, when outside today I saw two of these Bluebirds sitting on my fence... they looked almost identical to the photos I've seen in this thread. I will consider myself lucky!

syntaxerror64 said:
I ran into this thread last night when I joined to ask about the birds nesting in my yard. To my complete shock, when outside today I saw two of these Bluebirds sitting on my fence... they looked almost identical to the photos I've seen in this thread. I will consider myself lucky!
I consider anyone lucky who gets a good view of these beautiful birds! It's extremely rare for me to see them but I'm hoping that will change next year if I can get a bluebird house installed in the backyard.
Congratulations on your sighting! :) And welcome to the forum too. Hope you enjoy your time here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back