• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a piping plover? (1 Viewer)

Scottes

Taken today, Sep 19, in Westport Massachusetts.

Not a very good shot - if I had even thought this was a piping plover then I would have gotten a better shot, and more! It was standing near some Semipalmated Plovers and I thought it was just another one of the same. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• PipingPlover_51360.jpg
    PipingPlover_51360.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 181
It's a Semi-p I'm afraid, Piping always has pale ear coverts and a bigger head and is a couple of shades paler above.

Dave

Semipalmated Plover. Piping would be more pale, and the bill would be shorter. It looks like a juvenile to me, due to its scalie back.

Looks too dark to be a piping to me. but I dont discard it.
I'm sure there will be some more and better help coming soon

Actually, the answer make me feel good. I was not happy at the idea of messing up on a Piping Plover.

Thanks for the ID folks!

yep, juvenile semi-P to me also, the scaly feathers on the back and wings indicate the juvenile as was said already. piping plover is much lighter than this.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back