• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID? Panjin, Liaoning, China (1 Viewer)

Owen Krout

United States
I don't really expect much from these low quality images, but just out of curiosity I thought I would let this group have a look.

September 11, 2017, Panjin, Liaoning, China. Local city park. There were two individuals hawking insects in the darkest shaded area of the park and they were very shy making it impossible to get closer than 25-30 meters without spooking them and having them disappear. The dark shadow made it very hard to get a good look even through my bins and especially hard to get a good focus or freeze action. They were constantly in motion only stopping briefly on a low branch to spot insects to pursue.

Overall impression of grey to light blue, but the camera brought out some green and black also. The forked tail was evident even in the bins. I would say medium sized smaller than a thrush, larger than a sparrow. Flycatchers are migrating through the area right now.

Attachments

• NT4A5929.jpg
    NT4A5929.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 61
  • NT4A5927.jpg
    NT4A5927.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 52
Juvenile Chinese Bulbuls (or Light-vented if you must!)
The juveniles don't have the black and white head pattern of the adults (they are just starting to moult the head feathers) but you can just about see the green on the upperparts.

That fits as there were other juvenile Chinese Bulbul nearby. This pair was just behaving more like flycatchers and were unusually shy. Teenage identity crisis, I guess. ;) Most of the time the Bulbul don't pay much attention to me and are quite noisy whereas these two were also being silent.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back