• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

smallish Flycatcher, Nicaragua (1 Viewer)

tanagra

Crested bird on 2nd set reminds me of the Great Crested Flycatcher I've seen in Florida, but smaller. On the small side, smaller in comparison to Tropical Kingbirds around.

First two pics are the same bird (first image I saturated the color to check better). Photographed near Tola, Rivas, Nicaragua in a roadside with small trees and bushes, some still bare from the dry conditions.

Last three are a different bird. Overgrown open area behind the Managua Best Western. Both birds looked about the same size.

Attachments

• 1a flycatcher.JPG
    1a flycatcher.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1b flycatcher.JPG
    1b flycatcher.JPG
    562 KB · Views: 16
  • 2a flycatcher.JPG
    2a flycatcher.JPG
    680 KB · Views: 11
  • 2b flycatcher.JPG
    2b flycatcher.JPG
    499.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2c flycatcher.JPG
    2c flycatcher.JPG
    561.4 KB · Views: 13
Due to lack of the exact books needed, I am not sure what is possible in your area. I feel the divider between grey and yellow is too far down the breast on those where I can see it for Dusky capped. Brown-created and Nuttings both look like possible for those. I am not sure about those where the front side is not really visible.

Niels

First bird was close to the Pacific in Rivas, the other more north in Managua. I would've been more familiar with the local birds, but only been in Nicaragua twice, for only a few days and only a few hours available for birding.

I searched a few species which are similar but all are larger. I estimate this one to be about Social Flycatcher size but with a slimmer body. But sizes can be tricky, I was looking at a pair of Tropical Kingbirds in Managua next to each other and one was visibly smaller than the other.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back