• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

May 27-28, 2018 Guayaquil, Ecuador Birds (1 Viewer)

howiewu

Hi, I took these pictures in Guayaquil, Ecuador on May 27 and 28, after my trip to the Galapagos.

Here are my thoughts:

1. an immature cowbird/blackbird, Shiny Cowbird?
2. surely Saffron Finch?
3. another cowbird/blackbird, another Shiny Cowbird?
4. Grey-breasted Martin?
5. Pale-vented Pigeon?

Thanks in advance,
Howard

Attachments

• cowbird4.jpg
    cowbird4.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 14
  • saffron_finch3.jpg
    saffron_finch3.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 6
  • cowbird4a.jpg
    cowbird4a.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 15
  • martin1.jpg
    martin1.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 11
  • pigeon1.jpg
    pigeon1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 11
Scrub Blackbirds, Saffron Finch, GB Martin, and PV Pigeon.

Note that your first bird is a juvenile. Juvenile Shiny Cowbirds are brown, not black. As well in any picture this close and detailed, a male Shiny Cowbird would show purple tones, particularly on the neck, and the bill would be shorter and a bit more curved. Shiny Cowbird would have more of a neckless, bull-headed jizz.

Scrub Blackbirds, Saffron Finch, GB Martin, and PV Pigeon.

Note that your first bird is a juvenile. Juvenile Shiny Cowbirds are brown, not black. As well in any picture this close and detailed, a male Shiny Cowbird would show purple tones, particularly on the neck, and the bill would be shorter and a bit more curved. Shiny Cowbird would have more of a neckless, bull-headed jizz.

Thanks, pbjosh.

It is interesting that the Shiny Cowbird seems to have eluded me, even though it is supposed to be common in S.A.

I posted this picture on another thread and someone said it looks like a juvenile Shiny Cowbird. What do you think of this one (the bill does seem more like a cowbird bill).

Attachments

• blackbird.jpg
    blackbird.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 14
That is a juvenile Shiny Cowbird. Brown, with a messy spotted appearance that varies with age.

You probably did see plenty of Shiny Cowbirds, they're common in almost any disturbed habitat in the lowlands from Mexico to Northern Argentina. However, despite being largely common species, casually telling various Blackbird and Cowbird species from each other takes quite a bit of experience and knowledge of voice and habit, and no matter how well you know them if you only see a bird poorly or hear just an odd snippet of vocalization, you're not going to be able to ID it a lot of the time.

Also take a look at the bill length on your Cowbird vs all the Scrub Blackbirds, and notice how the Cowbird's bill has a slightly curved culmen...

That is a juvenile Shiny Cowbird. Brown, with a messy spotted appearance that varies with age.

You probably did see plenty of Shiny Cowbirds, they're common in almost any disturbed habitat in the lowlands from Mexico to Northern Argentina. However, despite being largely common species, casually telling various Blackbird and Cowbird species from each other takes quite a bit of experience and knowledge of voice and habit, and no matter how well you know them if you only see a bird poorly or hear just an odd snippet of vocalization, you're not going to be able to ID it a lot of the time.

:t:

Both are new birds to me, so I am super happy; and great learning experience too! Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back