• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What bird is this please? (1 Viewer)

Ruth4000

Hi,

Am new to these forums and need help identifying a bird I saw a few days ago in my back garden devouring a large pigeon.

Sorry for the bad quality photo, it was taken from my digital camera and I was in a rush to capture the moment.....

Thanks very much :t:

Attachments

• bad birdie.jpg
    bad birdie.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 529
Hi Ruth4000,
While not being sure of where this photo was taken,it seems to be a female(Eurasian)Sparrowhawk(Accipter nisus)
Harry H

Don't get many chances like that to the pound, not surprised you snatched the opportunity, thus got a bit of wobble, better though than I could take, as the worlds worst photographer, you must do better than me at all times, but I do agree with Harry, Who would even consider arguing with him, a female sparrowhawk. Nina.

in regard to your question MV, this photo was taken in Surrey in England. Thanks for identifying the sparrowhawk Harry.

Ruth

Last edited:
Hi Ruth,
No problem at all!Not bad as a "record shot",can clearly identify the bird from your pic(unlike some of my photos,but let's not go there!)
Harry H

Definitely a Sparrowhawk. We used to get them in the garden several times a year, both male and female, but it's a couple of months since we last had one. Well spotted Ruth and even better grabbing a photo.

Seb - you got it in one - size is the difference. Goshawks are HUGE!!! Even the smallest males will be bigger than the biggest female sparrowhawk.

You could also check the under-tail coverts. In Goshawk they are gleaming white and stand out at a distance. In some birds they seem to extend or 'wrap around' the rump, so that if you see them at a distance they bear a superficial resemblance to Hen Harrier. Goshawks are a much greyer bird than Sparrowhawk, and if you get a good view the supercillium is quite distinct.

Young birds have streaks on the breast wheras Sparrowhawk has barring at all ages.

In flight they seem to be much more leisurely than Sparrowhawk. There is not so much of the flap flap glide, its more of a flap glide glide glide flap. in the breeding season the male will soar up to a tremendous height, and then suddenly plummet, before gaining height and doing it all again.

Darrell

hi Seb,

you have to be careful with the undertail coverts wrap round as displaying Spars can fluff out their undertail coverts!
But Gos definitely can have a Accipiter/Hen Harrier look to them. Gos also have more of a "hand" in the wing which can be swept back lending to the harrier look.

Mark

seb_seb said:
whats the easiest way..appart from size to tell a sparrowhawk from a goshawk??

As Darrell Clegg states, the supercilium is much more prominent on the Gos and may even be distinguished in flight, also in flight, where size is often hard to gauge, the more leisurely flight and rounded 'hips' (the undertail coverts appear larger and heavier on the goshawk) ID the larger hawk. On the ground the legs of the sparrowhawk appear long and skinny (like in Ruth's photo) - broad and powerful looking on the gos.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back